Cyanobacteria, slime algea, or something

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

macdawg

so i noticed that after i took all the fish out of the tank, and moved the live rock all around to get a hold of the other problems in the substrate, i noticed im starting to get red algea on the sand, and some on the rocks, i also see a little green algea or something on some of the rocks, should i go ahead and put the rocks back how i had them, seems to me like the stuff is growing where the currents and water flow is lower, i have no fish or corals or anything (except two crabs, and a pistol shrimp(maybe) left in the tank) i havent seen the pistol shrmp since i put him in there so im not sure where he is, it is a very small shrimp. but i would like to get a handle on this why my tank is sitting fallow. what are the best steps for getting rid of this stuff, i do keep the light on for a little while during the day just to keep my coraline growth going. maybe 3-5 hours. any help will be greatful, all of the live rock is pretty much sitting flat on the substrate, i can pile it all back up how i had if need be. thanks

Siphon out as much as possible. Increase flow to the infected areas. Make sure your bulbs are not to old, especially if using T5's. What/how much are you feeding? May want to use some type of phosphate remover. Phosphates are the #1 cause of Cyanobacteria. Excess nutrients being the leading cause for algae.

I disagree with turning off the lights. Once turned back on the Cyano will surely return as will the algae. Especially if the original issue and cause is not fixed.

I disagree with turning off the lights. Once turned back on the Cyano will surely return as will the algae. Especially if the original issue and cause is not fixed.

I agree you must find the source of the problem. I have had this problem in the past and lights out help get rid of the algae, along with other maint. issues.

How would old T5's promote green algae?

Research different lumens and the effects on algae growth. Will old bulbs *cause* an algae bloom in a tank free of excess nutrients and phosphates? No! But old bulbs will enhance certain algae growth in a tank high in both.

The intensity of the wavelength that promotes algae growth does not increase as a flourescent bulb ages. It stays the same or decreases. So if the light is not increasing, how can an old bulb promote algae growth?

The intensity of the wavelength that promotes algae growth does not increase as a flourescent bulb ages. It stays the same or decreases. So if the light is not increasing, how can an old bulb promote algae growth?

Start a new thread so we can stop hijacking the OP's :)

Without pics, it's hard to say what you are dealing with. I once had what I thought was cyano and it turned out to be dinoflagellates. If it dinoflagellates, you could be in for rough ride. I had to replace all sand, remove all rock and put it through a 2 month black out period in a plastic tub with skimmer.
Do you have snails and hermits? Noticed an unusual amount dying off? dinoflagellates can kill off your snails.

Sorry - getting back on topic:
Phosphates plus nutrients are probably the biggest contributors. I would guess that you have a decent amount of organics in your water.
How aggressively are you skimming?
Do you run carbon, and if so, how often do you change it?

Back