"CYCLE" by Nutrafin?????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ROFL!!! Man you are one busy body!!! What's the rush:p :lol: Never tried it man...I just waited it out for my tank to cycle, like 1 full year and no corals yet :oops: I'd say my tank fully cycled after about 8 months. Not sure how quickly those "cycle" products work but maybe someone else will know:)

IMO.....almost all additives are better served sitting on shelves.....

Patience still wins.

I would stick with Calcium...Kalk/pickling lime...baking soda... Just my opinion, though.

Best,
Ilham

i have a nitrite problem...it's a long story, but i have been doing water changes...i need to boost the bio filter fast

IMO, I think water changes are the best way to flush them out. That and getting under control whatever is the source of the nitrates. From what I've seen of those "cycle" products, they don't do anything for denitrification. They just get you going with providing your tank with the bacteria needed to break down ammonia into nitrite and so forth, but nothing for denitrifcation. That's where good husbandry and your live rock come in to help remove the excess nitrates...And algae. I would probably set up a nice fuge with some macro in there and let it bind up all those excess nitrates. That and water changes would be the way I would go.:)

it's nitrites, not nitrate....the tank was alreadt cycled... i just messed up and removed half of the biological filter to help cycle another qt that i needed fast

So you are cycling again. If you add or take away it upsets the balance and you start a new mini cycle. you might try amaquel it will bind ammonia, nitites and nitrates. One thing as you get the nitites under control watch your nitrates spike.

any idea how long a mini cycle could take? i added live sand from my display..my nitrites are between 2-3 ppm...i am doing water changes daily now

Leave your filtration material alone. Let it cycle. If you see a spike change some water. The more you try to help with adding things, the longer you extend the cycle. If you add something like biospira you are adding nitritfying bacteria. You might need to do more than one change a day. When I was cycling my qt, 25 gallon with 6 fish, I tested at least 3 times a day and might do a water change 3 times if the readings were high. It took me 3 weeks with the use of amaquel and purigen.

Last edited:
would it hurt to try the "cycle"???....would it foul up the water....if i did try it, i could give a reveiw about whether it works or not....but only if it didn't harm my tank or water quality

Bio-spira, nutrfin, "cycle" are all dangerous. Patience.
Anyways, I thought nitrites were not even harmful in a reef? I thought ammonia and nitrates were the concern, but I guess if nitrites are present, nitrates are soon to come.

I think they all give a false sense of security, but if they worked like they are supposed to, there wouldn't be hundreds of post on RF asking about nitrate problems. Biospira is expensive too, and unless they have changed the directions on the package, buy a 50 gallon tank, add some salt, a heater and 50 yellow tangs and you've got an established reef before lunch time. I'm exaggerating, but I was burned by that crap when I started. I'd say save your $ and do some mini water changes more frequently.
This is only my opinion so don't take it as factual.:confused: Good luck though!:p

Back