Cycling question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Salty D-O-G

As we all know I am in the early stages of setting up my 175. It finally cycled a few days ago. Ammonia was at zero and nitrares were at about 2 ppm. So I did a big (about 150 gallons of it) water change the next night. I have my lights on timers (72" Outer Orbit) and when I got home the next night......................ALGEA GALORE:mad: Brown and green and some of it even looks like aptasia which I have never had before. I really don't want to use that slime away stuff. What do the Pros here recommend I do? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Jerry

Are you using RO/DI water? Have you measured Nitrates or Phosphates? Sounds like maybe you introduced A LOT of phosphates with the 150 gallon water change. Also, what Charlie said about lighting. Since you have no fish or inverts in the tank yet...leave all the lights off for 3 or 4 days. That'll help out a lot. When one of my tanks had it's first algae bloom, I fought it and fought it for days. Finally Barbie recommended I leave the lights off for 4 days. 2 days after I turned them off, all algae was gone.

All you are looking at is a bloom. I would get a cleanup crew and just let nature take its course. With good water quality and a little bit bit of TLC, it too shall pass. No panic here!!!!

Hey Jerry, not a pro, but we need more info, like are you using RO/DI? Have you tested your make up water as the source? What are you using for test kits? How old? What are you testing for?

Why such a large water change? Changing out such a large volume of water would be like taking all of your livestock and putting them into a different body of water. :eek:
Don't forget we're trying to create a stable environment long term (I have to keep reminding myself as well):| . Best to make small (20% of water volume) changes more often like every couple of weeks (depending on bioload).

Bottom line: You have Nitrates and/or Phosphates present somewhere which are feeding the algae growth when the lights come on.

Buy new/quality test kits, and keep testing for Ammonia, Nitrite to see if this spikes at all, which would indicate you're still cycling, or something has caused this to happen. Test often for Phosphate, Nitrates to see if they remain within acceptable limits (Phosphates should be less than 1 ppm, and preferably 0) while Nitrates I like to keep below 1, but will probably be a little higher because of the new tank dynamics.

-David

Yes I use RO/DI water. I put it in just for my tanks. The lights were off while cycling but I turned them back on yesterday hence why the algea probably bloomed. I left them off today except in the sump. A far as test kits I use Salifert (Now) and I have about everyone they make. I did check the phosphates levels (Which are in the safe range)plus I'm using phosban also just in case. Maybe hook up the UV sterilizer? Hope this helps. I changed the water at one time because I ended up curing my rock in the tank (DUMB A#$). It was looking ugly and cloudy is why I changed out so much. Normally I would only do 20%. The water looks very clear now and other than some calerpa's and some coraline covered rocks in the sump there is nothing else in the tank at all.

Jerry

Last edited:
I did put some astria snails(A week ago) in but they went lathargic(SP?)the next day so I pulled them out. I tested for PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Phosphates this morning and everything looked good. I grabbed one of the snails and put him/her/it back in and it was now moving around so I left it in there. I don't want to put to many in do I?

Jerry

Hey jerry, how long has it been since you first starting curing your rock? How's your protein skimmer performing?

I made the mistake of not rinsing of the 175 lbs of LV I cured with fresh SW or examining the LV before putting into quarantine. Luckily, I didn't get anything unwanted introduced. Did you rinse off, pluck off dead or dying organisms or unwanted hitchhikers? Excess stems can extend the curing process beyond a normal cycle period of 4 weeks, but it sounds like your Ammonia and Nitrite are zero so probably not an issue here.

I suspect you have phosphate/nitrate thats coming from your LV even though it's officially cycled, and algae is consuming which is why your test kits are still reading a low number. It will take a little time to level itself out. The brown diatom algae and green algae are actually a good sign in that you can support basic life, so don't stress. Continue your water changes, reduce your light period, balance your biominerals, test once a day, run carbon, phosphate remover, nitrate remover as needed. Just patience now my friend.

-David

Last edited:
I did put some astria snails(A week ago) in but they went lathargic(SP?)the next day so I pulled them out. I tested for PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Phosphates this morning and everything looked good. I grabbed one of the snails and put him/her/it back in and it was now moving around so I left it in there. I don't want to put to many in do I?

Jerry

You can probably add them in small amounts if you feel your system is stable. Astria snails are pretty lame as far as actual clean-up is concerned. Try one or two turbos to start out with, but make sure you quarantine everything for 4-6 weeks prior to introducing them into your main display (even algae).

A simple 29 gal glass tank, bare bottom, a few pieces of inert material like pvc fittings for fish to hide in, basic hood and light, heater, canister filter. Inert pvc is important because you'll be using copper or other meds in there, and this will kill and permeate into LV. You can keep this tank empty while not in use, and keep the canister filter sponge in your sump to get the good bacteria going and ready. If you don't have one now, maybe another reefer could lend you a hand with theirs. These are essential to maintaining a healthy reef.

Thanks everyone. This is the biggest tank I've ever had and it has made me very nervous. I started with a 10 gallon and had great success and then went to a 54 corner. I got a little impatient with that but all in all my greatest learning tool to date. I'm seeing that the bigger the tank, the longer life takes to start and, I guess realistically it will probably be 6 months before I can really introduce anything. It's been a few days shy of 8 weeks since starting this. Things I have learned is, bulk sand even if it is Carib Sea is very dirty and should be washed before putting it in, even if the rock you plan to put in is clean and dry and hasn't been in water in years STILL CURE IT and last but not least I don't believe God creatured the world in 7 days. Thats not enough time for it to cycle LOL. David you said something about quaranteening everything. I was under the notion that only fish need to be done, not inverts. Thanks again........

Jerry

Jerry, "Ideally" everyone would quarantine everything including inverts as well. Don't quarantine together though, because of medications used for fish. Again, this is the "ideal" recommendation to prevent undesirable additions to your main display.

I wouldn't do another huge water change (unless your water is just filthy) I did too many water changes when I first set up my tank and prolonged the cycle into a 2 month period algae blooms after every large water change so I started doing more frequent changes blooms got worse ended up going a few weeks without water change and finnaly got a good cycle, best thing to do is let it cycle as long as you can especially with the rock curing in tank, good luck...

It's perfectly normal to have an algae bloom in a new tank. Don't forget, just because your test kits say your tank is cycled it is not. It could take a year. Cycling is an ongoing process where the correct types of bacteria reproduce to control the wastes in your tank. Every time you add something that you have to feed, more bacteria is needed to eliminate the wastes. Right now your tank is cycled enough to control the wastes from whatever you cycled the tank with and no more. It will take some time and probably some algae blooms but it will work itself out.
I have an algae bloom now and my tank is almost as old as you. It is something to get used to. Algae is a natural part of a healthy reef and it will ebate soon.
Paul

Back