Dead (Base) Rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JPloman

Someone suggested that I stop buying live rock and just get a bunch of dead rock to finish off my tank. I need about another 50 pounds. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Also where would you go to purchase it online if you were going to do this?

there is a place called reeferrocks that seems to have good stuff. rinse or soak it before you use it though. very porous though.

http://www.hirocks.com/ it is really bare rocks but good for a base. THe Marine Center also has nice Marshal Base even better when avaliable.

Really nice,

I'd go with about 100lbs of preimum rock & the rest maybe base.

HI rocks has my vote also...
Here's the deal with base rock in an established tank....
ya cant go wrong with it as long as you rinse it off well first...
Your liverock will seed the base rock and turn it into liverock very shortly, all without a cycle....
I feel that if you have liverock in the tank, (and there is fish or other invertebrate inhabitants in the tank), you're better off adding baserock than live rock...besides its cheaper.

Nick

Thank you all! I think I will go this route. I am sick of paying such high prices for ROCK! I mean its freaking ROCK! I am sick at myself for spending almost $2000 on my tank thus far. This is like a sick addiction.

Yea, most base I've found was very heavy, the Marshall Island base from the Marine Center was just like LR, not crusted heavy but the best I've found.

I, too have bought from HIROCKS, and was very happy with it. Some of it is a little heavy, but not too bad. The sizes and shapes were nice and so was the color. I got the "Our best" (I think that is what they called it) and would do it again if needed. I have had it in my tank about 5 months now and I really can't tell the Hirocks from the other anymore. It is all covered nicely. Good luck! Another plus to base rock- there are NO HITCH HIKERS!!!! One last idea is looking for some live rock from people who are tearing down their tanks. Sometimes you can get nice rock for only $2-$3 a pound. Good luck! :p

Back