Dead Emperor....(long) Part 1

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

whowadat

THIS WAS POSTED LAST WEDNESDAY ON ANOTHER SITE WHERE i GOT NO RESPONSE BUT I FELT IT IMPORTANT TO INCLUDE - PART 2 IS AN UPDATE WITH SOME MORE QUESTIONS

Hello, recently I added two angelfish to a 120 tank that had a Chevron Tang, a Bicolor Angel, and a Marine Betta in it. The tank was a rebuild that sat fallow for 4 weeks (I used all the same rock, water, and some of the sand in the fuge when setting it back up). After 4 weeks the fish were added within two days to avoid any potential territory conflicts, water changes and imho proper maintenance was followed during those 4 weeks it sat fallow and all water parameters have looked great.

Anyways, the three noted earlier were from an established tank while the other two angels were bought at LFS after a two week wait to make sure they were okay. I bring them home and everything is dandy - I don't put any fish in QT because there wasn't any fish in the DT (in essence my DT was my QT - I mean watcha gonna do stick all five fish in a 40 gallon QT which would wreak havoc for another 4 weeks imho and probably cause more problems) Well, everything looks good, everyone is eating, I'm pleased....

I come home yesterday (THURSDAY) after being gone all day and notice a white "milk" mustache on my blue angelfish. I've attempted to take some pics but they're blurry - I'm gonna try again. I figured it was some sort of fungus or bacteria so I go out and pick up some API Erythromycin. I read on the internet where Cotton Mouth disease or Columnaris (I assume they are one and the same) is VERY contagious.

I wait until today to see if its any worse thinking that by chance the Chevron might have bitten the ol' Blue although I never seen any aggression before. I don't think the Betta would of harmed it because they pretty much hang out together in a dim cave. There is absolutely no other damage to the fish, no spots of Ich, (the single spot in the pic disappeared moments after the pic was taken) no fin rot or no fungus I can see with magnifying glasses anywhere else on the fish.

So, with all this long verbage....should I treat the whole DT tank with erythromycin because it could be so contagious, should I pull the Angel out and put it in my 40 QT because it will be cheaper to medicate in a smaller tank, or should I maybe take a wait and see attitude. I did a 25 gallon water change just in case.

Any thoughts, criticisms, or opinions are welcome.

Mike

bluewithwhitestache2.jpg
<p>

bluewithwhitestache3.jpg
<p>

bluewithwhitestache.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Temptation resisted is the true measure of character..... (needless to say I'm lacking)

Hobby Experience: Noob !
Current Tanks: 120 Reef, 40B Reef, 40 QT
Interests: travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back