Deep sand Bed in Sump Advise needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mitchboley

Anthony,

I am setting up a 150 gallon SPS tank and WAS going to set up a refugium in the sump with about 1100 gph flow-thru. But the Deep Sand Bed sounds like a much better idea due to my desire for low maintenance and minimizing electricity costs.

The area I have in my Sump available for the bed is 20" x 15" x 9" deep. The water level in the sump can be up to 14". Plan on having lots of rock and a good skimmer, lots of Corals of course, several smaller fish and probably three larger tangs. Also setting up an Auto water change system with a Spectrapure Liter meter and pumps. Probably 30 gallons permonth but very little at a time. In the dispaly tank I want to have just an inch or so of Caribsea Florida Crushed Coral ( 2-5 mm size) due to the use of two Tunze Steams 6100's.

Goal for the DSB is Nitrate reduction since I am running a shallow substrate in the main tank. Questions I have are:

Is the bed large enough to do any good. I figure about 120 pounds of sand at 9" deep.

What type of sand would you recommend?

And do you see any problemwith detritus accumulating in the 1" of courser sand in the display tank? My thought is that with the heavy flow and resident Amphipods/copepods, etc., with an occassional stirringif necessary, that there WOULD NOT be a problem with accumulated detritus causing any negative affects.

Thanks for your help. Mitch

I don't think that 1100gph flow in a 150 will be enough to keep detritus (especially if you are planning on having 3 tangs) from accumulating in the substrate. And the amphipods/copepods will not be able to process it all. So plan on periodically siphoning a portion of your main tank substrate (just stirring will not be adequate, based on my past experience).

DNJAN,

Flow in the sump is 1100 gph. Flow in the tank is 2700 gph minimum with the two streams and circulation pump.

Thanks for the clarification.

I still think, however, that you will need to siphon some areas in the crushed coral substrate. Even most people with BB end up with a few dead spots where detritus accumulates.

I have to agree my friend... the 1" of coarse media (anything over 2mm grains) is a greater long term concern for me here... at best its staggerngly labor intensive to prevent form becoming a nutrient sink... at worst - it becomes a nutrient sink.

The remote DSB could work (regardless). Please tell us about your coral and fish bioload to assess this one fairly (for RDSB potential)

Back