Deltec AP902 skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think Deltec recommends 800GPH..

I would get something that can do around 1,000GPH and ball valve it down a little.

I have a 210gal tank with 600lbs of LR and half a dozen fish. Does that help? I still don't know what size pump I need?

Thanks for your advice. Do you own a Deltec and which model is that? By the way, would you just gravity fed this or is this not sufficient.
Thx again,
Aaron

800gph???

no way, they might have gave that number as a maximum amount that it can proccess,. but that is definately WAAAY too much for your system.
on a 210g, a maxijet 1200 would be perfect(295gph).
I've owned multiple deltec skimmers, btw...

800gph???

no way, they might have gave that number as a maximum amount that it can proccess,. but that is definately WAAAY too much for your system.

Ideally, Would you plumb this from the sump and return back to sump? Does it matter if you use an external pump or internal pump?

We use a Mag 5 on our AP702 and we get great skimmate. Our pump is in the first baffled area of our sump and returns to the next baffled area of our sump (for lack of a better word). You can gravity feed the skimmer too.

Last edited:
800gph???

You can try with less, but I don't think you can maintain a proper water level in this TALL and wide skimmer with a maxijet 1200.

I own a AP701 and have never ran a 902 my self but have friends that have had 702, 902, and 1003. The feed water flow rate is the primary controls of the foam level, outlet ball valve is more for "fine tuning".

Gravity feed had been problematic for me on the 701 and one other on a 702, hard to maintain consistent flow with the small hose barb glued on the inlet side.

Last edited:
We use a Mag 5 on our AP702 and we get great skimmate. Our pump is in the first baffled area of our sump and returns to the next baffled area of our sump (for lack of a better word). You can gravity feed the skimmer too.

The 902's body is approximately 12" taller..

none of that matters....
it might take a little longer to fill the skimmer, but this is what you want people...
you want the process water to move very slowly through the skimmer.

AGAIN, I repeat, you are shooting for 1.5 your total display volume per hour being fed to your skimmer.
also, dont bother with plumbing your overflow to the skimmer, you dont know how much water your proccessing.
your much better off with a small, internal pump to feed the skimmer.

Ill trade you your 902 for my 702....ill throw in the feed pump....lol your going to love these skimmers.. i run the 702 on our 300 and it works great! Kicks the crap outa it u Know....

Back