Derassa VS Toadstool

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
So I have a 6 inch Derassa that like to move himself right next to my green polyped toadstool. I am just wondering if this is something that I have to worry about. I have not noticed anything negative yet. I just want to know ahead of time. Once again thank you for your help.

id worry more about the derasa, shouldnt harm the toadstool at all. If you notice the clam mantle not extending fully then move it. Also try putting a small rock slightly buried in the sand for the clam to attach to, they wont move then.

Derasa's are more sand dwellers than rock dwellers so the above suggestion will probably work. Bury a flat rock under the sand, below the Derasa, once it attaches, you can move the rock. As long as the clam is open with the mantle fully extended, you should be fine. If you notice discoloration at the area where it comes in contact with the leather, or the mantle not fully extended, then you need to make some changes. Another thing to watch for is the leather creating a shadow over the clam, which won't allow the clam to get as much light.

Ide be more worried as to why he moved? I dont think this will cause any harm as long as he is happy. If any trouble i would move the leather.

Well I found out why he moved. I had lost a torch coral a while back and well I kept the skeletal remains in the tank. Well the torch came back and was growing behind a pile of rocks. And it just hapened to be right where I put the clam. So once the clam started to get the hell out of there. I did some investigating. And sure enough 3 heads of torch were sitting there. Well besides that the clam covers the toadstool and he opens fully. It is a gorgeous derasa about 5 to 6 inches. So it towers over the toadstool. So I wanted to say thank you for your time and answers.

If the clam covers the poylps then its food source will be effected. So moving the leather might be best. Thtey like good medium flow and medium light.

Back