Derbirds Micro Pico

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Derbird

Hello Everyone,

I am getting involved in a contest on the PNWMAS forum and thought I would share what I am doing with everyone on here as well :)

The contest is to build and maintain a sub gallon tank. They call them Femto tanks but to me that sounds like some weird olive so I just call it a micro pico LOL. Part of this contest is a tight budget of $120. The budget must include all equipment and motile life. Sessile critters are not included in the budget. Its pretty tight for what we are trying to do so this should add to the challenge and hopefully the fun.

So far I have a cylinder vase and a AC 20 filter doing there wet test. I have a 25 watt Archaea heater with controller as well. I know its complete overkill on the heater. I couldn't find a small one that was reliable. The ones I found were either preset, hardly ever works long term. Or they were the always on type. Guaranteed to cook your tank at some point.

100_0069.jpg

My plan is to keep one maybe two mini maxi nems, some sexy shrimp, and a anemone crab. I love watching the symbiotic relationship that these animals share. I am also planning on stealing some live rock and sand from my 125 so hopefully my cycle will be a small one.

I am totally new to the world of nano's and of course I'm going to the extreme end of it :doh:. If anyone has any words of wisdom or comments on my plan please feel free to let me know. All knowledge is welcome.

Disclaimer; (Before this becomes a issue) I don't plan on keeping any fish in this tank. Its my personal belief that I can not provide a good habitat in such a small tank. This is just my personal belief and I do not judge anyone who does keep fish in femto type systems.

This is AWESOME! That is a really tight budget. Is the sub gallon total volume or just the display? Also, have you considered using and undertank reptile heater that you could put under the vase? You would even make a small acrylic base and provide a small amount of insulation to keep it from getting too warm. Not promoting this model or this store but just to show you what I am talking about. The mini is only 4w.
Zilla Under Tank Reptile Heater

Very cool following along. Good luck on the contest

Thank you, I never do well in contests but I do enjoy a good tank build :)

This is AWESOME! That is a really tight budget. Is the sub gallon total volume or just the display? Also, have you considered using and undertank reptile heater that you could put under the vase? You would even make a small acrylic base and provide a small amount of insulation to keep it from getting too warm. Not promoting this model or this store but just to show you what I am talking about. The mini is only 4w.
Zilla Under Tank Reptile Heater

I did look at those, my consern was there is no way to get a controller in this budget so I didn't know if it would maintain a constant temp. It would most likely work well but I got a bit parinoid. I have accidently cooked tanks in the past with cheap or non controlled heaters :doh:. Everything has to add up to a gallon or less, we have one guy who is planning on building a sump. I have no idea how he will do it with the volume limit but I'm looking forward to seeing it. People are getting pretty creative.

Last edited:
have you thought or using a cheap timer to turn the heater off and on? When is the dead line?

I have to have it cycling by the 15th I belive, the archaea is actually working pretty well :) I have had it on my bathroom counter for three days now and the temp has stayed right at 78. I wish my 125 would be that stable.

I may end up changing the vase :( I love the look of the cylinder but once water was in the distortion became huge. When it was dry it barely made a difference but now.......... I don't think I could take pics through that. Too bad to, I moded my AC 20 to fit the curve perfectly :smash:

Does anyone here have experience with mini maxi's. Online it says that they like low light and can adjust to any light sorce. But I am of course a bit leary of what the internet tells me :doubt:. I have a complact florecent 50/50 bulb I was planing on using but want to make sure its good enough. Its a 10 watt. so it works out to be about 12 watts per gallon. Man sounds like I could do SPS with that.

Glad to hear you have the temp thing figured out but now you have given me idea's for a new project, LOL. You could always build a small acrylic tank. The acrylic for that would be cheap and you could use the thinner stuff which is easy to cut. If you didn't live so far I would build you one out of some acrylic I have lying around this weekend before I move and just give it to you.

Glad to hear you have the temp thing figured out but now you have given me idea's for a new project, LOL. You could always build a small acrylic tank. The acrylic for that would be cheap and you could use the thinner stuff which is easy to cut. If you didn't live so far I would build you one out of some acrylic I have lying around this weekend before I move and just give it to you.

Glad I can help inspire your next build :D.

That is the only down side of this forum. Most of its members seem to be up in the Seattle area and I'm three hours away. But its a good group so I stick around anyways. I have thought of trying to build one but have little DYI skills so I see a flood as a good possiblity if I where to try. I do appriciate the offer though :)

Ok wet test take 2

I looked at all the square vases and just didn't like the look of them. So I ended up getting a oval. It still has a curve to it so some distortion but not nearly as bad as the cylinder had. I can live with it (I think)

100_0120.jpg

100_0119.jpg

100_0118.jpg

I'm still not sure if the compact fluoresent bulb is going to be good enough for the mini maxi's but so far so good (I hope)

I don't plan on keeping this tank in the bathroom but it seemed the logical place to do a wet test

Looks good, really like the shape, very unique. Glad u found something to work for you. Looks like a good shape for jelly's, lol.

I got my order of tonga branches from Bulk Reef Supply today :dance:

I have never bought rock sight unseen before but am pleased with what they sent. I did put in the comment line that this was for a pico tank so thankfully they sent small pieces. I don't have to break them :)

100_0163.jpg

and here is the dry fit

100_0162.jpg

I ordered four pounds not knowing what I would recieve. Ended up with six really nice pieces and even have two left over for a future build.

I am going to steal some sand from my 125 and get this thing going..... FINALLY.

Not too much to report. I'm in everyones favorite part of any tank build............. THE CYCLE :scared:

I have it on a file cabnet next to my desk and its sitting there waiting for some life.

100_0164.jpg

100_0166.jpg

The cat at first though I had given him the greatest drinking fountain ever. Until he tried it out :D. He took a good sip, slow motion look of horror came over his face. He got really stiff and so gracefully fell off the table. I now have the knowlege that cats do not always land on their feet :spit:. He will not go anywhere near it now so I think he learned his lesson.

Back