die bubble algea!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

When I had a breakout in my tank, I pulled each rock out of the tank and pulled the bubbles off, so that I wouldn't pop and spread them in the tank. Some say that emerald crabs work, but I didn't have too good of luck with them.

I've done the same as mentioned, manual extraction, or even siphon during a water change. I had a foxface (One spot, v. unimaculatus) that ripped through the bubble algae in no time flat, but I don't know if that's normal.

bubble algea

if you dont want to pull the rock out of water the best luck i have had is using a turkey baster, be careful not break the bubble if you do it will spread them so what you want to do is push it off with the baster while sucking in and immediatly remove. it also seems that if you have bubble algea you may be lacking flow or overfeeding so see if you can fix the problem after removing them

Hi there, the easiest way (in my opinion) is to leave them alone for the time being, and take a look at your nitrates/phosphate levels. Are you using RO/DI water for top off and water changes? Also, what are your nitrates testing at currently, and how often are you performing water changes?

I just leave them. Every once in a while a hermit will burst one. I haven't noticed a mass increase in them when they do this. I really don't know why people work so hard at trying to remove them. That is just my opinion.

Back