Different wrasses in one tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lionhead

I know its not recommended but Ive heard people have done it and made it work. If you were to put different kinds of wrasses in one tank, how would you go about doing it?

If one of them is a Sixline I wouldn't even try it, as I tried once and the sixline went to town on the other one. then while i was trying to figure out how to get one of them out of the tank the sixline kicked the other one out. I was lucky to find it on the floor with missing scales and put it in the sump.

Eric

If one of them is a Sixline I wouldn't even try it, as I tried once and the sixline went to town on the other one. then while i was trying to figure out how to get one of them out of the tank the sixline kicked the other one out. I was lucky to find it on the floor with missing scales and put it in the sump.

Eric

I do have a sixline and its nasty and im not planning to put it in the same tank. I was thinking more.. Scott Fairy and other more peaceful and colorful wrasses.

Do you guys know who gets in the tank first? Or should I add them at the same time?

Ya know I'd be concerned about the size of the fish - that timid lil scotts you have in QT might have a hard time fighting with one of those 4-5" monsters you've already got :)

At least that was my rule when I kept cichlids - no fishes significantly smaller than the big baddie - If they are similar size at least the newbie could hold his ground and not get beaten to death..

I can tell you from experience. Mike P and Sanjay warned me, then I watched it in action right after they warned me. The Red Sea Cleaner Wrasse is not Reef Safe. Its a polyp eater.

Ya know I'd be concerned about the size of the fish - that timid lil scotts you have in QT might have a hard time fighting with one of those 4-5" monsters you've already got :)

At least that was my rule when I kept cichlids - no fishes significantly smaller than the big baddie - If they are similar size at least the newbie could hold his ground and not get beaten to death..

If I had light a longer or wider tank (100g to 150g maybe) to replace my current 75g, then introduce the smaller, timid Australian Scott then later on the Cook Island Scott Fairy.. Would that make any different? Just wondering..

Are the Red Sea cleaner wrasse the ones with the different color other than the ones we commonly see?

Back