Differing test results on water samples - API vs Elos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gort

Dazed and confused
I pulled some water samples today to test the various parms. I'm using the API Saltwater Master. I performed a second pass but wasn't comfortable with the numbers so I took another large sample to BRA for a "second opinion".

My tests using API;

ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0.5
nitrate < 10

BRA results using Elos:

ammonia nil
nitrite 1
nitrate 20

I did a water change to lower nitrate then started to wonder if I need to invest in different test kits. Was it me, the API or a combination of both? Granted the BRA staff has a lot more experience performing the tests, but I'm concerned I could be relying on less-than-accurate data.

Last edited:
Good Piont, i've found myself in the same issue???? But i have learned to LOOK and STUDY my talk to LEARN (from contless research) Cause and Effect of different levels in my tank. Test kits are good but knowing my talk has done better with the test kit in the end. This is my PPOV (personal point of view):wink:.

I know u want to lower nitrate, but I would be more concerned with nitrite..it is toxic as ammonia is..nitrite and ammonia should be zero..water changes will help to lower both levels.

to answer your question about water test...Elos is one of the better ones, if you really want hi-tech, then LaMotte is the next step up..but they are very pricey.

to be honest, current results are not that bad once you get nitrite under control.

I know u want to lower nitrate, but I would be more concerned with nitrite..it is toxic as ammonia is..nitrite and ammonia should be zero..water changes will help to lower both levels. .... to be honest, current results are not that bad once you get nitrite under control.

I did a 5-gallon change .. about 20% of the current volume of water in the Solana 34. I'll test again today and change more as need be. LFS suggested I try daily doses of Brightwell Microbacter for the newly-cycling tank.

Keep up the water changes, the bacteria will normalize with time. Kirk is right that as long as there is nitrite present you are not done with the cycle. More time is all you need.

Keep up the water changes, the bacteria will normalize with time. Kirk is right that as long as there is nitrite present you are not done with the cycle. More time is all you need.

More frequent or larger water changes than weekly / 20% ??

No, that should do fine :)
After the cycle is finished the hard part comes: stock SLOOOOOOW :) that will allow the bacteria to keep pace with your added load.
Toughest part of this hobby for me, patience!

After the cycle is finished the hard part comes: stock SLOOOOOOW

Gort,

Couldn't agree more with that comment by NWDiver.

Case in point.

For my 375g tank, it took me 2 years to stock 17 fish. Sure, I could have done it faster, but I'm old fashion and wanted the bacteria to catch up with the bioload. I also am adding LARGE fish, most are 5-6 inches and some are 8 inches.

One of the best pieces of advice I got a long time ago was:

IF you go slow in this hobby, it will reward you.

I plan on re-stocking my tank in the same slow manner. 1-2 fish, then wait 4 wks, then add another fish, then wait, well I think you get the picture. :)

Back