digital camera

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
Does anyone out there have any great recommendations for a digital camera that will take good tank photos...or if not digital, anything that will take a pretty good tank photo?

Taking good tank pictures has as much to do with the photographer as it does with the camera. There are certain things you can do to give yourself an advantage.

Always keep your lens perpendicular to the tank glass.
Turn off all room lights and close all blinds to cut down on reflections.
Use a tripod.
Clean tank glass very well before taking pictures.
Turning off powerheads can help also.

All those things considered, there are any number of good cameras on the market that will work out just fine. The first thing you need to consider is if you want a Point and Shoot or a DSLR.

DSLRs are much more expensive, but have the added benefit of being able to purchase different lenses. DSLRs also have quite a learning curve.

Point and Shoot cameras are easier to use and learn. You'll usually have to deal with "shutter lag." But it's a good entry into the hobby of photography. Trust me, it'll become another hobby. Just as addictive and can be just as expensive as Reef Keeping.

If you decide to go with a DSLR, Nikon or Canon will both offer you the best deals. With Nikon, anything from a D40 or D70 on up. With Canon, anything from a RebelXt on up. These are both great entry level DSLRs and both companies have a great reputation and a very good selection of lenses to empty your wallet with!!

yep, used to work at Yuen Lui in the lab and as a photographer.
And ex wife had an enlarger and a small home dark room.
Photography is way fun. and medium format is the shyte if you can actually learn to deal with the hasselblad, ...and the expense.

I love going to this website and reading about new cameras, looking at sample shots, and reviews - they've got just about every camera imaginable reviewed on here.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I currently have a Canon XTI SLR, but I also took some pretty good shots with my old Kodak Powershot back in the day - the most important thing I would look for is a camera that has great white and color balance to your eye.. In the end the pics need to be appealing to you since none of us are taking pics to make $$ or for others

What is your opinion of this camera?

Thanks
Don

Don that is a great mid-entry level camera. It is just an updated version of the XSI to compete with Nikon's D90 which is capable of 1080p HD live video. You can't go wrong with that unless you want more weight and are wanting to do more professional photgraphy. I like the compact size of these camera's especially when you are hiking. You don't want to have to carry extra weight.

Thanks fo the info. I should have it in a few days. If I can figure out how to us it I'm sure it will be nice to have. Not sure about the video part I was thinking it would just make it easy to connect to my tv with the hdmi.

Don

Back