dinoflagellates

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr.Firemouth

RUL'N DA REEFS
I am curious how many of you have a problem with dinoflagellates?
Here is a pic of some covering some gravel...
http://www.reefcorner.com/images/Dinoflagellates1.jpg

I have seen these form mats from a rusty colored brown to a tan spongy material that traps air. Some of which is toxic to the animals that eat it.

I have had very small 1/2" pieces form in areas where detritus may accumulate.(such as rock crevices) These concern me as I would not want to wake up to a tank full of tan slimy bubbles!

I am about to purchase new lighting(Coralvue 12k bulbs) and am worried the new bulbs will send the few small pieces I have found into overdrive!!!

So what has everyone done to combat this problem?

I currently use phosphate resins, activated carbon, a huge skimmer, and RO/DI water. All water params are normal in regards to Ca, Mg, Alk, pH, etc.

Ozone is an option I am seriously considering as of late. My work tends to leave me little time for more tank maintenance so the cleaner I keep the tank the easier it is on me. Overstating the obvious, I know, but I have so little time between work, traveling, family, and responding to the numerous Internet sites I contribute to.

The only problem in my tank is 3 sneaky black claw Xanthid crabs and I fear a possible bloom of these dinos' if I upgrade the lighting!

Feel free to link any pages/discussions that will help everyone understand these more.

Back