dipping sps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

what does everyone have the best luck with without stressing out the frags...i have lugols iodine solution that was told is good to use just dont want to ever have to deal with getting bugs transfered from someone else into the tank atleast not too soon lol

I always do a Revive dip with all my new frags that I get and if something is not looking good I will pull it and give it a dip in it as well.

I use Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure dip from Tropic Marin. 15 min at suggested dosage. Swish the coral and check for fallout on the bottom of the container.

HTH,
Kevin

What do you consider heavy concentration? What is your Melafix/ Tank Water ratio?

Melafix Marine has a recommended formula for coral dipping on the back of the bottle. Pretty sure it's 20 mL per 1/2 gal and for only 5 minutes. I've successfully used a solution 1/2 that strong for 15-20 minutes. Nice thing about Melafix is my corals don't slime or seem stressed at all (fluke tabs tended to make the corals slime pretty bad). Melafix won't kill Acro Eating Flatworm eggs though, you need to check corals closely for eggs if you see any flat worms (dip in a white container so you can see what comes off the corals).

I don't think Melafix will take care of red bugs, i check new frags with magnifying glass or scope and add interceptor to the dip if I see any red bugs.

Melafix Marine has a recommended formula for coral dipping on the back of the bottle. Pretty sure it's 20 mL per 1/2 gal and for only 5 minutes. I've successfully used a solution 1/2 that strong for 15-20 minutes. Nice thing about Melafix is my corals don't slime or seem stressed at all (fluke tabs tended to make the corals slime pretty bad). Melafix won't kill Acro Eating Flatworm eggs though, you need to check corals closely for eggs if you see any flat worms (dip in a white container so you can see what comes off the corals).

I don't think Melafix will take care of red bugs, i check new frags with magnifying glass or scope and add interceptor to the dip if I see any red bugs.

Thanks. My API Melafix bottle only gives a dosing guideline for dosing a tank. I don't want to dose my tank.

Jason

Jason, I would venture a guess that your Melafix is not the Marine Melafix. There are two different types. One for Freshwater, one for Saltwater, though the people at API tell me they're both the same.

Well, they sure do SMELL the same ! :badgrin:

The marine and fresh water melafix is the exact same thing and it is just a marketing ploy to sell one more that the other!

I assume Interceptor for bugs, but What do you use to dip for AEFWs?

Mike more and more people are dipping their SPS in Melafix for AEFW. It won't kill the eggs but the AEFW will fall off of the SPS within a few seconds of the dip. You just have to closly inspect the base of the SPS for egg clusters and try to scrape them off or just cut the area that has the egg clusters and toss it.

Jason, I would venture a guess that your Melafix is not the Marine Melafix. There are two different types. One for Freshwater, one for Saltwater, though the people at API tell me they're both the same.

Thanks. The bottle says for Fresh or Salt, I never really thought about it since I bought it a Barrier but the active ingredient is 1% Melaleuca.

Jason

FLUKE tabs (4X recomended concentration) & interceptor combo for me.... I have melafix too, but for some reason just trust fluke more but it sounds like I shoudl start trusting melafix just the same.

Thanks. The bottle says for Fresh or Salt, I never really thought about it since I bought it a Barrier but the active ingredient is 1% Melaleuca.

Jason
Under the API website it lists the ingredients.. seems like the saltwater version has another ingrediant listed, its inactive and probably salt water or ??
The Melaleuca is the same as tea tree oil, I believe.
you can buy the oil in the grocery store and mix it. Ive done it for fresh water fish with good results.

Mike more and more people are dipping their SPS in Melafix for AEFW. It won't kill the eggs but the AEFW will fall off of the SPS within a few seconds of the dip. You just have to closly inspect the base of the SPS for egg clusters and try to scrape them off or just cut the area that has the egg clusters and toss it.

Yes, using Melafix for AEFW dip, most jump off within the first minute or so. I had been using Fluke tab dip and blowing them off with a power head, but my corals were sliming really bad and mucking up the dip water pretty quickly. I'm currently treating about 100 frags that are on racks, moving them from frag system to a large rubbermade storage box and treating with 1/2 the recommended strength for ~30 minutes every week followed by 100% water change in the frag tank using water from our display. Will let you know if we eventually win the battle for good, we've made good progress so far. No sliming of corals with melafix, but they are losing some color, it's getting hard to tell what's what. :(

Back