Disapearing Zoanthinds

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

About 2 weeks ago I bought a small frag of blue zoanthids. There were maybe 10 small polyps on it. I put it in my refugium but they never opened. I have a ton of pods in there and they all seemed very interested. Over the last 2 weeks they just kept disappearing. I talked to one of the guys at Saltwater City and he said I could have a zoanthind munching nudibranch in the tank. What can you do about that? All I have in the tank is a couple hermits and some green star polyps. I hope it didn't just become a fish only tank!

Larry it is possible that you have some zoanthid eating nudis. Check the colony over real well. They resemble the colony, so you have to look closely. Another possibility is the Heliacus snail. Here is a post from the Let's Talk About ~Pests~ thread. Single Post - Zoanthid eating Nudibranch. There is also a species of Eunice worm that will munch on zoanthids, so watching at night may be beneficial.

Here is a nother thread you might find helpful: I hate nudibranchs.

What kind of hermits? Have they bothered the colony at all? Do you have any hitchiking crabs that you know of?

Here is a pic of the heliacus snail:
450heliacus-snail.jpg

Back