DIY- Converting my stand into a sump!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JasonD

I started a new project over the weekend. I thought it was a pretty good idea, so I thought I would share. I have a 120 gallon reef tank. Mostly zoas, a few lps and a few sps. The problem is I have very little space for new corals. Probably my favorite part of the hobby is fragging and growing new colonies. I think it is pretty exciting to grow out a new colony from a little frag. Plus selling and trading a few frags helps fund a very expensive hobby. I wanted to covert my garage into a coral farm. There are a couple of problems with that. One I can overcome. The other.... The garage has no power. I can run power. The other problem, the wife said no.

Well, I have finally found a place for a small coral farm. My sump. I run my tank with very little equipment. I have a closed loop, a sump with one small pump, one heater and 2 x 250watt (12k reeflux) halides. I have had pretty good luck running my reefs with this simple setup. So I started looking at the sump for my frags. First thought, way too small, upgrade! I took some measurements to see what size of sump I could fit in the stand. The footprint of the stand is 4'x2'. The problem is it has a center brace. I did some layouts on the computer (I am a CAD designer). About the biggest tank I could physically get under the stand without removing the center brace was a 30 gallon breeder. A little better, but still too small. I had a thought, what if I turned my whole stand into a sump. I have done some research in the past on building plywood tanks. Garf.org has some good info in the DIY tank building pages. It always scared me that the tank would leak. The garf tanks are sealed with epoxy paint and silicone. If your craftsmanship is good, I am sure this would be adequate. I have also read of people using, fiberglass, concrete, .... You name it. The one that really caught my attention was a product called http://sanitred.com/. This stuff can make a wicker basket hold water. Literally, they have photos. The only negatives I could see to this product was the price. To build a plywood/glass tank out of my stand, seemed pretty simple. I already had the plywood part, just add glass and apply the sanitred products. The full sanitred process would required permaflex (primer), TAV/LRB (sealant), LRB (rubber membrane), permaflex (topcoat). The permaflex top coat can discolor under UV, but it will not effect the product performance. You could topcoat with epoxy paint (optional). A little discoloring did not concern me. The coverage of 1 gallon of permaflex was 240 sq feet. I need one coat for a primer and 1 coat for a top coat. I figured at the most I would need 60 square feet of product. So I only needed a quart. The LRB covers 80 sq feet per gallon. I only need one coat of this and if I applied it only to the required areas (16" height), a quart would be enough. So the sampler pack at $95 would be just enough product.

Well, I did it last week: I order a sample kit of sanitred - $114 (with shipping)

1. 1 Quart Permaflex (Penetrating Primer & Top Coat)
2. 1 Quart LRB (Liquid Rubber Base)
3. 1 Pt TAV (Thickening Activator)
4. Catalysts
5. Instruction set (I told them I was doing a plywood/glass aquarium. The actually had and instruction set for that purpose.)

I order 1 piece of glass 48"x16"x.25" - $42 (I probably paid too much, I could have got starfire for another $30, damn)

Brush/Roller - $6

I already have pumps and 1 175 watt 20k halide retro. I want to add an additional halide retro later, when funds become available.

Total: $162

Not too bad for an 80 gallon custom sump. I will probably only fill it to 60 gallons.

1.jpg

I removed the sump and put all the contents into my quarantine tank.

2.jpg

I moved my closed loop from under the tank to behind it. Luckily I set my tank up 8" from the wall. There was just enough room to place my external behind the tank. It was a little tricky to remove the closed loop without draining the tank. I did not have a union to stop water from siphoning out. I used vise grips to clamp the hose shut while moving the pump. That actually went really smooth. I only spilled a couple of drops of water. Running my closed loop only, while construction is going on, should be adequate temporary flow.

3.jpg

I cleaned all surfaces of the stand and double checked the fit of the glass.

4.jpg

Applied Permaflex (primer)

5.jpg

Permaflex was applied to all surfaces that would be getting rubber sealant. This includes the glass edges inside and out. (let it dry for a day).

6.jpg

Applied TAV/LRB (sealant), sealed glass to stand.

7.jpg

Applied TAV/LRB (sealant), sealed all other edges, holes and gaps.

The next step is to apply LRB (rubber membrane). That will have to wait until tomorrow.

More updates to come…. Wish me luck.

That's a project. Don't want to spoil all the fun but why didn't you support the tank with some temp braces and remove the center support. Put the new sump in and put the center brace back.. Or do a split sump.

Check out this link. This what this guy did..

http://www.melevsreef.com/55g/55sump.html

Just seems like a lot of work to me.. It's interesting idea so I'm going to follow along ot see how it goes.

Good luck..

That's a project. Don't want to spoil all the fun but why didn't you support the tank with some temp braces and remove the center support. Put the new sump in and put the center brace back.. Or do a split sump.

Check out this link. This what this guy did..

http://www.melevsreef.com/55g/55sump.html

Just seems like a lot of work to me.. It's interesting idea so I'm going to follow along ot see how it goes.

Good luck..

I did think about removing the center brace. There are still braces on the sides though. So I could not get a standard 48" tank in there. I would be looking at something custom. I did think about a split sump. Once again it would be custom. I don't have any experience working with acrylic. I could have had it made for me, but I was assuming custom acrylic work would be pretty spendy. I probably should have looked into it. The paint-on rubber membrane seemed a little easier to me and would give the greatest possiable footprint. The sump is going ot be used for a frag growout, so no baffles are nessary. I am going to use subersiable pumps. I will put eggcrate over pumps and heaters, so every inch can be used for frags.

Last edited:
That is very cool!

I once went to a local TV repair shop and in the back was dozens of huge console televisions. They just throw them away. I thought to myself, this would make such a cool aquarium! I thought I could just line the interior with plywood. I almost placed an order for Sani-Tred, but I only had one problem. I wanted to use the original glass of the tube itself, but the rest of the tube could not be cut away. I took a couple of tubes to 2 different glass shops but they broke all of them in the process. I never was able to figure out a way to use the original TV lens.

That is very cool!

I once went to a local TV repair shop and in the back was dozens of huge console televisions. They just throw them away. I thought to myself, this would make such a cool aquarium! I thought I could just line the interior with plywood. I almost placed an order for Sani-Tred, but I only had one problem. I wanted to use the original glass of the tube itself, but the rest of the tube could not be cut away. I took a couple of tubes to 2 different glass shops but they broke all of them in the process. I never was able to figure out a way to use the original TV lens.

That is too bad that you couldn't get the TV/aquarium going.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
This is great! I am about to start work on a 280g plywood display and Sanitread is probably what I am going to use. Thankyou for documenting this, now I will also be considering doing the sump the same way.

what a unique and cool idea. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product and learning how it works out for you - go Jason, go!

P.S - I had the same problem with the wife not letting me turn the garage into a frag farm.. I mean, comon!! that's a totally excellent idea and reasonable request! what gives, ya know?

what a unique and cool idea. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product and learning how it works out for you - go Jason, go!

P.S - I had the same problem with the wife not letting me turn the garage into a frag farm.. I mean, comon!! that's a totally excellent idea and reasonable request! what gives, ya know?

She has a crazy idea of parking cars in the garage or something.

Update...

8.jpg

Applied LRB (rubber membrane). The membrane was not as thick as I expected.

9.jpg

Applied Permaflex (primer topcoat)

Tomorrow I fill it with water to check for leaks.

That looks great.

From what I’ve read, I believe a thick LRB membrane is typically applied horizontally. In a new build, one could flip the tank or use LRB/TAV mixture to be applied vertically in 1 thicker application.

You should be just fine. If it looks seamless and no holes, it will be waterproof. I believe the membrane is just for insurance and for rough plywood.

Update..

10.jpg

No Leaks!

I don't have the new sump plumbed in yet. I did not have enough makeup water on hand. I had to mix it in the sump. I think I might wait to pump all the new water into the tank. It would be like doing a 50% water change. I will probably mix the water in over the next few days. I still have to hook up the lights too. I was very relieved to see the stank bone dry.

Nice job, looks great! Dont forget to leave room for drain back, from the tank if the power goes out.

Very cool

Don

How is it coming allong? Any news?

I'm curious to see how you will be plumbing into the stand. Are you using a cabinet beside the stand to house your ballast etc...?

Are you planning on installing baffles in this sump?

Back