DIY holes In glass

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

you can use water to keep it cool. Antifreeze is toxic and hard to get all the chemicals off the glass... Looks good though..

you can use water to keep it cool. Antifreeze is toxic and hard to get all the chemicals off the glass... Looks good though..

It also carries less heat than water. It is used in cars only to not-freeze in winter, and to "wet" the water (remove its surface tension).

Looks good though

The rest is pure genius!!!

are you drilling that with a standard wood hole saw?
how do you get the pilot hole started?

Looks great

Matt

Thats it, got it at homedepot 2" is the only one they had Think around 14.00. Had tile bits to start the hole went faster. You can get them at Homedepot also. Worked great took about 1/2hr per hole. drilled the same with water. I would use water.

I use vegetable oil when I drill. I dont use a damn. I just poor a little oil in the area to be drilled, and occaisionally pause the drilling to push the oil back near the hole. I wouldnt use anti-freeze

Salmon... when you drilled your hole did you drill a pilot hole first? Did you widen the pilot? Did your hole-saw have the bit in the center? Did you tape the glass off ?

I am itching to drill a tank... might do an old 10 or 20 nano 1st for practice.... then I have a 55 I might do.

Details? :)

well I would wait for sure on the 55, AGA or Oceanic 55 are all tempered. I would call first. Before anything. But the first question they asked me was is itour 55 g , they told me that they are tempered on all sides.

Salmon... when you drilled your hole did you drill a pilot hole first? Did you widen the pilot? Did your hole-saw have the bit in the center? Did you tape the glass off ?
I would be interested in knowing this. Im going to use a 20L for my skimmer and as a refugium for my 75gal tank. Im planning on cutting a whole to install a bulkhead for a external return pump. Im assuming this would be better than using submersible pump like the Mag 7.

Back