DIY Seio 1500 magnet mounts

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
After using magnets to hold my maxi-jet powerheads in place, I started looking at the suction cups on my seio 1500 powerheads that were losing their ability to hold the powerhead in place.
I found some neodymium magnets on line that looked pretty good. They are 3/4"x3/8" disks that were about a $1 each. And couple bucks worth of acrylic and I have a magnet mount for my seio's for about $10.
This magnet mount is holding the seio in place through 1/2" glass and is very difficult to pull off.
The one thing I didn't like was to have to use alot of silicone to glue the seio suction cup bracket to the acrylic and to seal in the magnets.
Smearing silicone in a neat and orderly fashion is not my strong suit.lol.

The piece on the outside of the tank

Rear view

And a couple of views inside the tank.

Last edited:
You da man!!!!(LOL) Looks great man! I see a lot of people DIY'ing this same thing now! Almost looks like my Tunze magnets! Good job:)

Thanks, but I think most people would just keep buying more suction cups.
Atleast untill the pump falls down and blasts a favorite coral.

Awesome idea...I hate having to mess around in the tank adjusting the darn things, and I have lost coral when a pump fell.
Kate

I made some changes to my little project. One thing I wasn't happy with was using silicone to attach the seio suction cup bracket to the acrylic, so I drilled the acrylic and used a nylon machine screw and wing nut. I also totally incased the magnets in acrylic. I also made both pieces smaller, but used a little stronger magnets.
Here are some new pictures.

Back