DIY skimmer #2

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Its time for another DIY skimmer. I just picked up a chunk 12" acrylic tube.
As of now I have just a basic design drawn. There is no reduced neck. I have never figured out why most skimmers have a reduced neck and a short cup. You can have the same neck and a huge cup if the neck is not reduced.

I have not decided how I'm going to power the thing. I was hoping everyone would pitch in with their experience. I've had great luck with my DIY needle wheel but am leaving all options open. Downdraft, Beckett, Needle wheel or airstone.

Thanks
Don

bradreef said:
sounds good but that pic is unclear

In my browser IE. I have to hold the mouse over the pic and a enlarge button pops up. Once enlarged it works fine. Dont understand why.

Don

I don’t know about the bubbles from a AM-3000 & venturi, But it would probably sound like a jet plane taking off! :eek:

A ton Don, lol I have a am 3000 for my return and when the BV failed it was draing in just a tiny bit of air and it fogged my tank completely

Mike

Are you talking about an aspirating venturi or something more along the lines of a more traditional venturi like a beckett or a mazzei injector?

If going with the traditional venturis like a beckett or a mazzei, it probably wouldn't be that impressive, probably would produce less bubbles than with an Iwaki55rlt.

If using an aspirating venturi that is a little more coarse, you might hurt the pump, but who knows??? I don't think the bubbles would be that great just because the design on the impeller is designed to move a lot of flow at a lower rpm and it just wouldn't do a great job of dicing the bubbles up.

Peace,
John H.

2 becketts, possibly four to really drive it. 12" tube is freaking huge so you can put a lot of air in that sucker before it gets overdriven... Better yet, why not dabble with old school airstone technology. Cheapest air injection (energy wise) by far.

Peace,
John H.

rufio173 said:
2 becketts, possibly four to really drive it. 12" tube is freaking huge so you can put a lot of air in that sucker before it gets overdriven... Better yet, why not dabble with old school airstone technology. Cheapest air injection (energy wise) by far.

Peace,
John H.

Thats kind of what I was afraid of. I have three, am still reseaching a quiet air pump. Gotta go in a cabinet in living room. I have a monster pump but its to loud. My other option is to put the thing outside and build a little house for it. I just thought since I have the acrylic I would go ahead a Tim Taylor this thing. :)

Don

DonW,

I have done all the research you need. Trust me... I've got all the numbers and pump curves jammed into my skull on which pump is the best and the best one out there is..... the airtech pumps.

Go to mystickoi.com and check them out. I'd suggest the airtech 40 or even the 80 for you. The airtech 40 runs at about 37db and the airtech 80 runs at about 40 db. Fairly quiet if you put it in a cabinet and very, very quiet if you put it outside. It is tolerant of outside conditions I believe. They are by far the most powerful LINEAR air pumps out there.

Peace,
John H.

rufio173 said:
DonW,

Read the last two pages of this thread because I hemorrhaged a good amount of numbers http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66105#post66105

Peace,
John H.

Ya, Ive already seen Mikes in person. Thats why I'm concerned with the noise level. Db number really dont mean much to me unless I can here the thing run. I just cant picture how loud 35db would be.
This is why I'm exploring the thought of a remote location.

Don

Think about it this way Don... those quiet PC fans usually run at about 25-30dB.

Also, imagine walking down your neighborhood. You've got some sounds but they are in the background... so it's fairly quiet.

A quiet conversation is around 55-60dB. So, I guess it's somewhere in between a quiet PC fan and a quiet conversation. Haha :)

Peace,
John H.

Don,

Either he's really small, or that skimmer is really big!!! Keep us posted on what you decide and all.

I should have some raw numbers and impressions next week. Brent of barraquatic.com will be running some numbers on the airtech 40 pump I sent him and he'll let me know about the sound issue.

Peace,
John H.

Back