DJ Switch only allow 2 plugs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krisfal

I have a DJ strip with 8 switched plugs and one permanent power plug. However, I can only use 2 plugs at a time. If I plug in anything else it will not work, it is not specific to any two particular plug any combo of two will work, any more than two will not.

I have tried lower wattage items with no difference (the person I bought it from used it for all the lights according to the labels) Currently I have two pumps (my skimmer pumps) running on one plug (with a splitter) and return pump on the other and that works, but if I try to plug in the skimmer pumps separately it will not work.

Any ideas what the issue is?

okay so 15amps total. so with all your equipment plugged in how much total amps are you running? just add them all together

also if its 15amps per channel then that means you have a total of 120A which is more than the standard outlet can handle. so im going with the whole strip is 15A total. now if you have more amps then your total allowance then it wil not work. what ever the 2 things your plugging in at the same time is probably drawing lot of Amps

Last edited:
My guess would be that the breaker is getting old and weak tripping any time you put a load of over a certain amount of amps (less than 15 of course). If you can bypass the breaker and plug it into a 15 amp GFCI outlet you should be able to get years of safe use out of it.
My DJ strip worked fine with 2 sicce pumps, sedra 5000, ATO system, mag12 WC pump, and a GenX return pump on it all running at once.

okay so 15amps total. so with all your equipment plugged in how much total amps are you running? just add them all together

also if its 15amps per channel then that means you have a total of 120A which is more than the standard outlet can handle. so im going with the whole strip is 15A total. now if you have more amps then your total allowance then it wil not work. what ever the 2 things your plugging in at the same time is probably drawing lot of Amps

Well that is what I was thinking and why I tried it with just three little lights, my 2 refugium lights and the light on my QT (standard fish tank single bulb setup). I do not for sure but I cannot imagine that would be over 15 amps or nobody would use these things because they couldn't handle the equipment we use. And also I can run 3 pumps on it, I just can't do it by using 3 plugs, the equipment runs fine if two pumps are plugged into the one plug and 1 in the other. That is why I am bewildered. If I plugged 2 six ways into this I would run a bunch of equipment off of the two plugs/switches with no problem and it does not matter which two, but it does not work for more than two.

My guess would be that the breaker is getting old and weak tripping any time you put a load of over a certain amount of amps (less than 15 of course). If you can bypass the breaker and plug it into a 15 amp GFCI outlet you should be able to get years of safe use out of it.

I agree with the diaqnosis, but not the suggested cure.
Anytime I have had problems with anything electrical, I usually give it the boot.
Especially with something as inexpensive as a dj power strip.
I lose sleep wondering about things like that.

I agree with the diaqnosis, but not the suggested cure.
Anytime I have had problems with anything electrical, I usually give it the boot.
Especially with something as inexpensive as a dj power strip.
I lose sleep wondering about things like that.

Well it wasn't real cheap even used, but probably a good idea. If I buy new I guess I will at least be able to return it if it doesn't work.

Ya, Finn is probably right. I wire breaker boxes and am not afraid of a little electricity so a quick mod wouldnt worry me in the least.
Ive seen them on E-bay for as low as $30 this year. Down from the $40 of a couple years ago.

Yeah you can find it pretty much everywhere online for $30 bucks. Very cheap compared to all the other things in this hobby that constantly needs to be replaced.

Ya, Finn is probably right. I wire breaker boxes and am not afraid of a little electricity so a quick mod wouldnt worry me in the least.

now see, that is something I wouldn't do.
If you are comfortable working with electricity, then that's a different story.
Me, I'm a chicken.:lol:

got nailed by power from a live box a few years ago.
I still remember the smell.:oops:

Ive seen them on E-bay for as low as $30 this year. Down from the $40 of a couple years ago.

Guess I overpaid, I paid $50 used, was told it was $150 new.

This one has the switches seperate from the plugs so that you can put the plugs closer to the equipment for those short corded pumps and have the switches up where they are easy to reach for me (and out of reach of the grandkids, lol)

Yeah I have wired a couple of breaker boxes, in fact I did all the wiring in our current home, but I do not know enough to diagnose problems or "re-engineer" something. I may open this up to see if anything looks unusual . . . or maybe I can bring it to the next meeting????

Last edited:
Guess I overpaid, I paid $50 used, was told it was $150 new.

This one has the switches seperate from the plugs so that you can put the plugs closer to the equipment for those short corded pumps and have the switches up where they are easy to reach for me (and out of reach of the grandkids, lol)

Yeah I have wired a couple of breaker boxes, in fact I did all the wiring in our current home, but I do not know enough to diagnose problems or "re-engineer" something. I may open this up to see if anything looks unusual . . . or maybe I can bring it to the next meeting????

Id be willing to take a look at it Kris. YOur hubby doesnt want to tinker with it?

Sounds like yours is definately not the average $30 unit though. Never the less, I'll take alook inside it if you want me to.

Id be willing to take a look at it Kris. YOur hubby doesnt want to tinker with it?

Sounds like yours is definately not the average $30 unit though. Never the less, I'll take alook inside it if you want me to.

Did you miss the part where I said I did the wiring for the house:confused::confused: He doesn't do the electrical thing . . . . :lol:

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: I didnt miss it. I just didnt fully understand it.

For what its worth, I DID NOT know of any issue with the strip. When I took it off the shark tank it was only because the shark tank was coming down too. Sorry that its giving you troubles. It ran my skimmers, lights, and heaters all at the same time when I used it.

Guess I overpaid, I paid $50 used, was told it was $150 new

If you want a refund I'll give ya 50 bucks and you can give me back the strip.

Here is a link to the unit in question. I wasn't lying when I said I paid 150 for it.

http://www.cheapdjlights.com/item--RSP-800-8-Channel-Relay-System--MBT-RSP800.html

For what its worth, I DID NOT know of any issue with the strip. When I took it off the shark tank it was only because the shark tank was coming down too. Sorry that its giving you troubles. It ran my skimmers, lights, and heaters all at the same time when I used it.

If you want a refund I'll give ya 50 bucks and you can give me back the strip.

Here is a link to the unit in question. I wasn't lying when I said I paid 150 for it.

http://www.cheapdjlights.com/item--RSP-800-8-Channel-Relay-System--MBT-RSP800.html

Not a problem Brett, the ones they are talking about ARE different.

It worked for a couple months after I hooked it up and then I turned off the two skimmer pump switches once and only one would come back on. It is the chance you take buying used, I don't expect a refund. I am making it work as is with two plug outlets and only running 3 pumps, though it would be nice if more worked.

Back