do i really need a calcium reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatboyt123

i am finally setting up my 155 gallon saltwater tank
(it is my first saltwater tank ever)

i was wondering if i really need a calcium reactor or if its just a good thing to have

i going to put sps in the tank any edvice will help also any other things you thing i need already have a sump and a refugium and protein skimmer and all the major stuff but just want to know if there is anything that you guys think that are a good ideas

you can get away with dosing calcium for awhile, but as the sps grow the demand for calcium becomes greater and a calcium reactor becomes much more cost effective

you can get away with dosing calcium for awhile, but as the sps grow the demand for calcium becomes greater and a calcium reactor becomes much more cost effective

+1! I have a 60 gallon sps tank and tried to do dosing and I couldn't keep up! You will definately need a calcium reactor.

Calc reactor is a way to go, i have a 600gal reef i was dosing for like 2 yrs now i have a calc reactor i dont have to worrie bout adding calcium.

Usually yes, depends on the corals u have and how much calcium they are using, usually yes. In my 600g i was doing almost 90ml a day for like 2 yrs.
Steady calc dosing is best.

Usually yes, depends on the corals u have and how much calcium they are using, usually yes. In my 600g i was doing almost 90ml a day for like 2 yrs.
Steady calc dosing is best.

how much was that costing you compared to using your reactor

how often do you have to fill your reactor?

WELL MY REAL TOR COST ME BOUT 70-110 EVERY 7-9 MO DEPENDING ON THE BOTTLE SIZE, I'LL BE USING A 10LB BOTTLE SHOULD LAST ME BOUT6-8 MONTHS THE CALC REATOR USUES I THINK 15LBS OF MEDIA.
THIS THE ONE IM PUTTING TOGETHER
http://www.marinetechnical.com/page12.html

how long did you say that the calcium in the reactor lasts

so is it cheaper with the reactor or just easier?

It depends on volume media the calc reactor hold and the size of co2 bottle u have. Im figureing mines will last bout 8 months. Long run is cheaper and easier. Imo

I think ULTA means the media and the CO2 should last about 8 months. The Ca reactor should last years and years...
If i remember right it is about $15 for one gal (or one pound) of media at my LFS...
if you have the $$$ now i would get the Ca reactor now. if not, dose until it get to be a pain... you can get the stuff in bulk from twopartsolution.com i think for cheap-ish

Back