Do you think my Yellow Tang is too big for my tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I looked at two different websites and they said 55 gallons and 75 gallons recommended minimum size.

Honestly, a yellow tang in the wild is a fish that spends its entire day grazing across the ocean... I'd say a 75g minimum.
roscoe said:
shhhhh don't tell anyone but I have a yellow and a sailfin tang in my 40b
As for the sailfin and the yellow in a 40 breeder... Why? what are you going to do as those fish grow older? Or do you not plan on having them live that long?

Honestly, a yellow tang in the wild is a fish that spends its entire day grazing across the ocean... I'd say a 75g minimum.

As for the sailfin and the yellow in a 40 breeder... Why? what are you going to do as those fish grow older? Or do you not plan on having them live that long?

oh please chill out! There is such a thing as an upgrade you know lol as in a bigger tank or give it to someone with a bigger tank. To be honest none of the tank that anyone has is big as the ocean! So by all means we are all doing some wrong in our hobby. Until you have the ocean in your house then tell people that there tank is too small! Cheers:D:p

any eye candy is in new posts sadly I don't know how to make a link. Wanna tell me?
P.S. If you live in Orange Co. Ca. and want some xenia...... ::grin::
I can set ya up.

It's easy. Go tho the page you want to link to. Copy the link from the address bar. Go to the post page and write whatever it is you want the link to say. Highlight that text and click the link icon, the one with the world and paperclip.. When the URL scrript prompt pop up window appears right click on it and paste the link in the window. Make sure you do not repeat the http:// that automatically comes up or the link wont work...Then you can get creative and change the color of the link and text...

Last edited:
I got a real plump yellow tang in my tank 130 english gallons with sump its always on the move sometimes think my tank is to small but as i said its plump and the colour is vivid: Rule of thumb if it looks right it probably is

yeah i see nothing wrong with keeping small fish that will grow too big in time in a less than adequate sized tank.. its pretty simple, when they get too big, give them to someone with a bigger tank, or return them for fish credit!!

A lot of times, LFS won't take large fish back as they either don't have room for them or they know they'll have a difficult time selling them. It's also not always possible to find someone with a larger tank willing to take your too large fish. The best solution is to either NOT purchase a fish that will get too large for your tank, or to dedicate yourself enough to good reef husbandry to plan for a larger tank before the need arises.

I agree with Sid. Let the tank get established first. Water from another tank is nothing more than used water. Add the fish and let the tank equalize before adding anything delicate.

Don

Back