do you want max cap,that your over flow will go,

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

this is what iam having trouble, do you want the overflow you aer using to be unrestricked to get the max useage and flow, what is the ideal situation, as to overflow and sump opperation.

i have done some checking around, and found that you should have the max flow your overflow can handle and still be quiet as possible, overflow should not be reduced down in pipe size, in the overflow box, one persons sujestion

I have 2 tanks, 1 with built-in overflow, and 1 with an external overflow box. In both cases, I do not restrict the flow coming from the overflow box down to the sump. Whatever size the overflow fitting is I use the matching size tubing.

From the return pump back to the display I have a ball valve inline that is used to control the amount of flow going back to the display. Using a ball valve after the return pump allows you to fine tune the amount of flow. This is important IF you have a return pump with higher flow rate than the flow rate of your overflow. If your return pump is producing more flow than your overflow can handle, then you will have a loud overflow (gurgling, etc) and possibly overflow your tank & end up with water on your floor!

In my experience, the rate of flow from the return pump is one of the easiest ways to control the noise level of the overflow.

HTH & good luck!

Rob

I have 2 tanks, 1 with built-in overflow, and 1 with an external overflow box. In both cases, I do not restrict the flow coming from the overflow box down to the sump. Whatever size the overflow fitting is I use the matching size tubing.

From the return pump back to the display I have a ball valve inline that is used to control the amount of flow going back to the display. Using a ball valve after the return pump allows you to fine tune the amount of flow. This is important IF you have a return pump with higher flow rate than the flow rate of your overflow. If your return pump is producing more flow than your overflow can handle, then you will have a loud overflow (gurgling, etc) and possibly overflow your tank & end up with water on your floor!

In my experience, the rate of flow from the return pump is one of the easiest ways to control the noise level of the overflow.

HTH & good luck!

Rob
are you using and stand pipes in your overflow to help with noise, or just adjusting the return pump

In the case of the built-in overflow, I am using the overflow that came with the tank. The stand pipe has a hole at the top that allows air to enter which helps prevent noise (without the ability of air entering it would make gurgling noise).

In the case of the external overflow box (lifereef brand), it has a very short stand pipe that is cut at an angle (45 degrees). I believe the mfgr did this so water would enter primarily from one side only, allowing air to enter from the other side. However, after I set it up I was still getting some gurgling noise, so I took about 2 feet of airline tubing and started feeding it down the stand pipe & down the tubing towards the sump. I was able to slowing feed the airline tubing down until I found the "sweet spot" where the gurgling noise stopped. Then, I just secured the airline tubing to the side of the overflow so it wouldn't move down any further.

HTH,

Rob

In the case of the built-in overflow, I am using the overflow that came with the tank. The stand pipe has a hole at the top that allows air to enter which helps prevent noise (without the ability of air entering it would make gurgling noise).

In the case of the external overflow box (lifereef brand), it has a very short stand pipe that is cut at an angle (45 degrees). I believe the mfgr did this so water would enter primarily from one side only, allowing air to enter from the other side. However, after I set it up I was still getting some gurgling noise, so I took about 2 feet of airline tubing and started feeding it down the stand pipe & down the tubing towards the sump. I was able to slowing feed the airline tubing down until I found the "sweet spot" where the gurgling noise stopped. Then, I just secured the airline tubing to the side of the overflow so it wouldn't move down any further.

HTH,

Rob
cool, i just undid the standpipe mod i did and went back with the way it came from the factory, left my setting alone, to my surprise, it increesed the flow of the water going over the skimmerbox, the water level in the overflow is about 1/4'' to 1/2"above the two pieces of pipe,no gurgle, just alittle noise from the water going through the skimmer teeth down to the water level, did reduce the return pump alittle,

You should try the Herbie method for your overflow. Google it. Huge thread about it over on Reef Central or you can search the threads here on RF. It won't be the max your overflow can handle, but you will run dead silent and still run 3-5X's your tank volume through your sump.

I use a herbie and have my main at about 75% up my overflow the emergency above that. It helps reduce the "splash" of water trickling doe the overflow...

Back