Does all Jakarta rock need to be cured?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kylehustonvw

I just bought live jakarta rock this weekend at the shark reef in Silverdale and was wondering if it could go directly into the tank or if it needs special curing. Any suggestions?

I guess that will depend on if Shark Reef cured it or not and how long it took you to transport it, if they did cure it.

Put it in a tub of saltwater with powerheads and do some testing. That might give you an indication of it's condition. You could introduce ammonia and then test the next day, to see how it handled ammonia and nitrates.

All rock needs to be cured unless it was dead and dry when you bought it. A good first test is to smell it. Smells like ocean: that's good...Smells like toilet: that's bad... Hope that helps..

ask shark reef first , i'm almost positive its brought in on a straight flight , not boat rock . this means quick cure , all the life was saved and its ready for sale in a matter of days . Rock out of water less than 24 hours should contain little death.

hope that helps a little , I think we get jakarta from the same source.

as today from 2 1/2 years ago 3/4 of the rockin my display tank i got from shark reef/ jakata 3 weeks i cured in the display with 4 water changed,,all check,,, good to go ,,from my experienced maybe won't hurt to ask.

the shark reef has awesome rock. i have to agree with ARSA on this i bought a crap load from shark reef put it in my tank and had zero issues, except of course a few pest crabs

holy cow shannon, its nice to hear you agree with me:)
yes the down side is pests , but the good out ways the bad by far!

Back