Does anyone feel a need to cure their plastic buckets...?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sometimes....it depends on it's use and depending on whether it's food grade or not. Look for the triangle and the number inside the triangle. The lower the number the better. Here's the plastics codes. http://www.americanplasticscouncil.org/s_apc/sec.asp?TRACKID=&CID=313&DID=931
I use those codes to decide what applications I will use a particular plastic vessel for.

For instance, many people store up RO/DI water in trash cans. If you store it in a regular trash can, the plasticizers used to make it will often leach phosphates into your fresh, phosphate-free water. Depending on the situation, it might also leach other oils/contaminants. That's why people store their RO/DI water in Brute food-grade trash cans instead. If I wanted to use a regular trash can to store RO/DI water, I would most certainly cure it.

Regarding Patrick's comments...let's all remember that RF doesn't have a problem with linking to other boards. However, to continue doing this without problems, we generally don't like to trash other boards because they will find out about it and trash RF, yada, yada, yada.

I read that post, as well as the one that was linked at the beginning... and personally don't have a problem with my piticular brand of Salt comming in a plastic 5-gallon container.

Sure... anything is possible, and I'm sure there are some who have developed a problem when using plastic containers to store one of their Reef animals in. How much of those problems can I attribute directly to a Salt-brand 5-gallon bucket causing??? Without intense testing on that piticular bucket, I hesitate in guessing.

For me, I don't feel there is any concern with those 5-gallon buckets, but that is "for me", and "on my system". It is what WE feel is best for our specific tanks, situations, and conditions. As long as we are trying to do the best we can for the animals in our care, that is all that can be asked.

sorry i almost pee pee my pants when i emptyed the container i had for keepign my ro water (this was the first time i keep my water in something :p.
a few mins ago i went downstairs and looked for the number (ssheeshh can't they make them any smaller :rolleyes: :doubt: .... i wear glasses for the love of my life :p:lol: )
and i found out that i got a number 4!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: .... no wonder my tank looks like it has algae growing again :cry: .... i was about to burn that stupid thing :mad: :evil: .
now i'm gonna have to do huge water changes again :p

...let's all remember that RF doesn't have a problem with linking to other boards. However, to continue doing this without problems, we generally don't like to trash other boards because they will find out about it and trash RF, yada, yada, yada.

LOL!!! i like that :lol:

The link took me to a sign in page , therefore I couldn't read the article but I will share with you what I have learned about my containers after some information Curt gave me.

I used to mix up my saltwater in a 18 gallon Sterilite container, it has a "5" in the triangle on the bottom of the container... After mixing water in this container many many times it was still leaching something into the water causing the nitrates to read somewhere around 5-10ppm maybe higher when mixing Kent salt.. Now before you say its my salt let me say the Tropic Marin I had, also showed detectable nitrates. I have since switched to a 32 gallon brute trash can. I tested my first batch of water in it using the same batch of Kent salt and the nitrates were barely detectable. That right there sold me on the idea of using only food grade containers for my water...The reason all this is an issue for me is my tank was measuring 5-10ppm of nitrates, and I've been having cyano problems. After many many water changes the nitrates NEVER budged...We'll see what happens with the new container but Im sold on the fact that my cheap container was the cause of at least SOME of my nitrate issues..

Also found something interesting on my salt buckets.

My Kent and Oceanic buckets are food grade buckets. The Tropic Marin bucket is not food grade. Now that doesn't mean much cus the salt is in bags but thought Id share that information.

ohh yeah i'm totally sold too dood !!!
Curt talked to me too but i was late :( .... i was moving into our new house and the husband just bought whaterver was in the menu for containers :p .
i didn't realize this until i read another thread.
Before this i never had cyano too .... now all of a sudden i got tons of cyano, i haven't checked for nitrates but i'm sure they're high :( .

Bummer Gabby. I noticed you changed your avatar looks nice so I decided to change mine too for the holidays. :)

Debbie
---

Back