Does anyone know how to get rid of Hydroids?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I had hydroids bigtime. I also ran across info about them. I thought mine was ugly grey algae. I am trying to remember what I did to get rid of them...unfortunatly at the moment I can't but I did get rid of them. I will try to remember what I did. I think I found the answer online somewhere. Off the top of my head I think I added a 1200 maxijet powerhead and got another really big hungry Turbo snail and of course did water changes.

I have since July 2007 used the same water from the same store. The other change I made is I add B-Ionic's alk and calc additives 3 times a week as per the instructions. I just do it 3 times a week instead of every day.

Hope this is helpful. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Welcome to RF :)

If you can pull the rock out a blow torch is 100% effective on erradicating them. Works great on GSP too.

no im not kidding

If you can pull the rock out a blow torch is 100% effective on erradicating them. Works great on GSP too.

no im not kidding

Where can I get a blow torch? I don't think this is an option as I am in a condominium and we have association bylaws that sort ofthing that I Think would prevent me from bringing a propane tank into the condo.

Where can I get a blow torch? I don't think this is an option as I am in a condominium and we have association bylaws that sort ofthing that I Think would prevent me from bringing a propane tank into the condo.

You can buy one at home depot for $12-50(depending on quality) that simply hooks on top of those little little $1-$2 propane canisters you take camping.

You dont want to boil the rock. that kills everything, all life, bacteria.....everything. Torching it just kills the spots you burn.

Don't they use preperation H?;) :lol:

drum.gif

Another neat thing about taking a blow torch to your rock is parts of it turn this really sweet bright orange color for a few days :D

That is a red algae like one of the Chondira or Laurencia sp and looks more like a Laurencia poiteaui. As are the ones on RC. You can not +ID any of them without using a taxonomic key, it is otherwise guess work. It is best to just say a red alage. One thing they are not is hydroids.

Pics on the net suck, you need an Alage ID book like Littler's and Littler's Caribbean Reef Plants.

Last edited:
lol. I never even looked at the pic. I just thought we were talking about how to get rid of hydroids.

Of course, a blow torch will get rid of that stuff too........:lol:

Many discussions about hydroids seem to end this way.
It would seem hydroids have defeated the hobbyist when it comes to getting rid of them.
You get answers like torch, burn, cook ,scrub etc.
If you have a few thats fine if by chance they are already out of control the hobbyist need real solutions to hydroids.
That will start with those who have somehow found a solution by accident or by experimenting. Some one who finds a reef safe predator.
Keep in mind flatworms were a problem until flatworm exit came along. They found sixline wrasse would sometime eat them.
So who is willing to set up a 10 gallon reef with hydroid to come up with a good solution?

Until an easier solution i have started my war on them , I took out a few covered rocks today and place them outside until. I don't think they can survive -6 degrees C.
I found a new tool to help with scrubbing them off rocks in the aquarium: a firm brush with a long handle and an electric toothbrush.
I wrap the body of the electric toothbrush in latex to prevent water from penetrating the battery case etc. So far it works great. This might be a long fight but long or short its started . Hopefully i can be rid of them

Back