Does anyone know what feed pump to use for an H&S A150 protein skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NewGirl

:confused:Hi there everyone, and Happy Holidays!
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I've got an H&S A150 protein skimmer that, due to space restrictions within my stand, will be run in-sump. I'm having a custom sump/refugium being made by Lifereef, and I was wondering if anyone knows what feed pump to use for this skimmer, as it really doesn't say on the H&S website. If anyone could help me out on this I'd really appreciate it!

I know it comes with an AquaBee 2001 pump. Maybe you can google that and find the answer.

:)Thanks, guys, for the replies! The AquaBee pump the skimmer comes with is just the recirculating pump, so I'd need a feed pump to get water into the skimmer. I did contact Eric at H&S and he e-mailed me back saying the flow rate I'd need to choose a pump is between 225-250gph. I was thinking of one of the Eheim Compact pumps, a lot of folks seem to like these.

NewGirl,

I have two Eheim pumps on my H&S skimmer and love them. I think this would be a good choice.

:DCool. I was looking at a couple on Marine Depot and I think the Eheim Compact 1000 might be the one. What do you think?

Newgirl,
I have an H&S AF150-2001 like is pictured in the link below, I'm feeding mine by gravity. If you havent done your plumbing yet, you might consider that as a possibility...no pump to buy, and the skimmer works more efficiently if your feeding it from your overflows as its getting the rawest water possible directly to the skimmer.

Nick

:)Thanks, Nick! Nope, haven't done my plumbing yet, but I'll think about what you told me. Thanks for the advice!:D

to answer your question, so people know, you always want to feed a recirc nw/mesh skimmer 1 to 1 1/2 times the total tank volume ever hour. so it just depends on the size of your tank...

I remember you posting a link to a calculator that took all the skimmers info, and recommended a flow rate. That was different than the 1.5 rule.

The guys from FinsReef told me to figure on a feed rate of 1 - 1.5 total tank volume per hour.

Nick

Back