Does carbon remove disolved solids?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I have often seen TDS's mentioned and I was wondering what carbon will actually remove from the water? Is it possible to change the carbon too often? If nitrates are high and vacuuming detris isn't bring them down substantially will changing the carbon help much? One last question...is there a down side to making %50 water changes say 3 days in a row?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

I took a quick look at your tank pics looks like you have come a long way in your reef tank keeping. Looking good. I was wondering about the amount and size of your fish. You mention a lot of detritus and nitrates. I usually find that people will tend to overfeed their tank. The left over food will "rot" in the tank sitting around in the low flow areas. This excess can then turn into nitrate. Also bigger fish mean bigger waste, maybe it is time for a upgrade in the sump and skimmer department. With doing a big water change I do not believe it would do any harm, however I would try to rid the tank of as much of the detritus as possible. I use a Python and turn the valve back so it sucks up the detritus but leaves the sand still in the tank.
Purigen by Seachem is a bagged product that will help in removing more contaminates than carbon and you can regenerate in a bleach water.

Thanks for the info Vinny :) . I was overfeeding. It seems like I upset the balance of the tank and haven't gotten it quite back to a good place.
I will check in to Purigen by Seachem. Might give it a try.
Thanks again!!

Back