Does your reactor clog

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

So I have been toying with idea of adding a GFO reactor to my system and while I am at it, I want to replace the carbon reactor I currently use. I have been looking at BRS dual reactors, as well as many other brands and reading a thread over at another SW forum about how the BRS reactors clog up and flow slows down to nothing after only a few days. I already have this problem with my carbon reactor, the sponges get clogged with detritus and after 3 or 4 days, no flow. I believe my current reactor is an old Reef Octopus, it look slike sthis,
_3_zps878c0635.jpg

I am looking at the OBD Dual, NexReef, BRS Dual, Cad Lights, and others.

What is your experience with reactors and keeping them from clogging? Which brands work best. What workarounds mods have you done to fix the clogging?

Thanks

PS I have an OBD Bio Pellet reactor on the inpput to my skimmer and it NEVER clogs, runs great, but then again, there are no sponges, flow is pretty good.

im going to fallow along. i have the same concern with my carbon reactor and also wanting to add a gfo reactor.

I have a TLF for GFO and a BRS for Carbon. I don't see a clogging issue with either, although I can see how the sponge 'thickness' with the brs one might cause it. I have a friend who has the BRS dual, and he took the carbon offline and is running it as GFO. He ordered a single for carbon because getting the flow correct in both parts of the reactors was an ongoing challenge.

I'm running a TLF phosban reactor for GFO, and an Avast Marine Media reactor for bio beads. The only issue with the phosban clogging up is due to the media not being tumbled enough to keep that from happening, and the only issue I have with the Avast reactor is that Bio Beads don't seem to work( or even decrease in size or shape) in my system. I've been running the same beads in my set up for over a year and have not needed to replace them or even add more.

I will eventually most likely change the Avast reactor over to a GFO reactor and turn the TLF into a Carbon reactor.

I have a brs dual reactor and it will clog up in a mater of days if you fill it too full, otherwise it works fine.

"sent' pm's aren't saved in your folders by default. its a setting in your profile..

Back