Dont u just love pests/hitchhikers!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

UnderDaSea

Well after getting some rock from a LFS I got some lovely hitchhikers i didnt see on teh rock once purchased.
016.jpg

Pests.jpg

These things are a pain in the arse!!!!!!! I initally tried to pull out the rock and cut off all the majanos next day more popped up so I went back to the LFS and they hooked me up with some joes juice. I took that home did the biz with it and thought i killed the majanos. NOOO those things are hardy. I looked today and there was still about 10 of them. So i gave up with those methods and decided to cut my losses and just boil the rock and then oven it at 450 to kill everything on it. As of right now i dont see anything on the rock as far as majanos go. Has anyone ever boiled it and or oven'd it that can attest to it working? Any helpful hints anyone has on these things would be great!!!!!!!!!

A thick coating of kalk past will do it

These things are a pain in the arse!!!!!!! I initally tried to pull out the rock and cut off all the majanos next day more popped up so I went back to the LFS and they hooked me up with some joes juice. I took that home did the biz with it and thought i killed the majanos. NOOO those things are hardy. I looked today and there was still about 10 of them. So i gave up with those methods and decided to cut my losses and just boil the rock and then oven it at 450 to kill everything on it. As of right now i dont see anything on the rock as far as majanos go. Has anyone ever boiled it and or oven'd it that can attest to it working? Any helpful hints anyone has on these things would be great!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I've boiled in water before. They do not come back if you do that, but you kill everything when you do that.

To me boiling should be the last resort. That is why I keep my new purchases in a quarintine tank before adding them. I bought some live rock that had the same, plus some aptasia. So I would say either keep up the good fight with the Juice, or lastly kill off anything that might be beneficial for your tank.

I have been fighting majanos for years. Originally i had thousands of them. Used Joes on them regularly and now just do it about every two months. No longer use Joes. Earlier tonight I mixed a table spoon of Kalk with a little water and treated 5 or six that had come back. This seems to work better than Joes. They do not close up at all when I drop it on them. They come back, but are manageable., One you have them, I think you always will. They don't ever seem to do any harm in my reef. I used to mix with vinegar or boiling hot water. Now just use pickling lime and cold water works awesome and is really cheap.

Back