dory fish is dead

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

I come home today to find that theres a mosh pit of bristal worms on her half eating body...

so iM nukeing the tank now.

Why are you nuking Jon??? Do you know what caused the death??? Sorry to hear about your loss...Good luck getting things back together :)

Id imagein that it was the worms....

thats the only thing i found wrong...

water was strait across the board... Ive bin crazy on the water change...

1 gallon every day after i feed......

the problem was that the tank is so small so when i fed her... (and she ate!) the trate would work there way up..... so i would water change and repeat....

the only thing i found was about 50 brisstle worms in the tank...

i havent nuked yet... but

Im really really upset. i really liked that fish... and i dont want to spend anther 30 beans on a quarter size fish...

I should have just put her in my tank... she was healthy and strong.

thats what i thought... but she was healthy and eating fine yesterday....

BUT

where not talking small worm.... i saw a few that were a few inch's long... and one was fat and big.... HE poped.... when that big finger from hell came

Do not think the worms would bother a healthy fish. I pulled 4 out of my tank that were around 3ft long. Never lost a fish to them.

If all baby fish survived, there would be no room for water. Baby fish are VERY hard to keep alive even in the best of tanks. Grab and toss any worms you don't like, but no reason to worsen a maturing tank as the worms didn't jump up and grab her, she died and fell down to them.

tomarrow would have bin a week......

I guess ill just try ageain.....

maybe there a little bigger? (at the lfs)

tomarrow will be new dory pictures

I have a ton of bristle worms that come out at night. They dont harm anything, just clean up the dead fish. You said you popped one with your finger? Brave....everytime i accidentally touch one moving live rock my finger swells up until i get the spines out.

Jon, do you have any types of crabs in the tank???? i used to have a sallylightfoot that would try to attack my fish.. i saw it happen a few times.. i think it was responsible for two missing damsels

Small Hepatus tangs, such as the ones you had, are the worst size to get for this species.

They school together over coral heads, which is why they are often found in the hobby. They gather lots of them at one time. The problem? Well with their small pointy mouths, they are still 'planktivores', eating small foods in the water column. They are also very fragile...

IMO, the cause of death is not due to the worms. I apologize for the loss of the fish..

Best,
Ilham

Last edited:
negative on the crab......

i think your right 18......

fragile.... which i think i might have over looked for her size....

i will try ageain. and this time diffrently...

i will get diffreent food and some garlic (kents)

i did notice that she liked to eat the zooplankton as it flew around...

i will try a few things diffrently.

sorry for your lose ive lost a very small dori due to its size and bullying
leebca just did a thread on the uneffectiveness of garlic so i would say dont waste your money

Back