dory won't eat now

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trillyen

what???
ive got a blue hippo tang ( dory ) thats been in qt for about 3 weeks and he has been doing graft and I see no more ick spots but he WONT eat he looks at the good or either sucks it in his mouth and spits it right back out.

His stomach is really sunk in but he seems healthy he just won't eat NOTHING that I can see, he's probably been like this for about a week I don't see how its still alive

He's now in a 29 gallon by his self with the salinity level at 1.009

What can I do I like to see my specimens health and eating

Ive tried feeding mysis,spirulina freeze dried cubed brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, spirulina flakes, red salt water flakes, brown and red dried sea weed, chopped up cocktail shrimp, all sometimes soaked in GARLIC, and SELCON concentrate

I think thats about it

HELP

trillyen - how is the water quality? What size water changes are you doing in the QT? Is the fish provided with plenty of hiding spots?

trillyen - how is the water quality? What size water changes are you doing in the QT? Is the fish provided with plenty of hiding spots?

yeah there are ALOT of PVC hiding places, I haven't checked my params for a while but I guess I didn't think it would be bad cause I feed very lightly

But thanks I'll check my ph and my ammonia and trates and trites. I font think thats the prob but I'm gonna check into it. If this isnt the case what else could it b??

Thanks NaH20 good to hear from ya

I'm not sure. Hopefully, Lee will pop on this thread and offer some additional advice. Poor water quality doesn't only come from over feeding. The fish produces waste products, too. What size are your water changes?

i change about 15 to 20 % of the water every other day and wash all the sponges and change the filters every week!!

ohhh yeah i checked my params and they couldnt be any better im gonna start to raise the salinity in a couple weeks

im really sad i lost my log book for my 29 gl tank i cant find it any where and all i can remember is that the tank was started on jan 27th this year and that i need to start to raise the salinity on 7 14 08 if no signs of ick show up!!!

thanks guys, man it really hurt my feelings when i found out my log book was gone it was like loosing a diary or something

GOD I LOVE MY FISH

hope i always will!!!

Dori isn't eating & the stomach is sunk in, then you have a major problem, I would read through Lee's articles for farther help but you need to find the problem soon, Hippos are greedy pigs when doing well!

may be he aint eating cause of unfamiliar surroundings. That'd be my guess. He wasnt look so good today when I left he was swimming on his side

If he's alive when I get home I'll be surprised. Not sure what I did wrong. All I have in the tank is PVC thats it

My guess that it could be cause of unfamiliar surroundings is from dr lees posts on the subject

Thanks guys

"Ive tried feeding mysis,spirulina freeze dried cubed brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, spirulina flakes, red salt water flakes, brown and red dried sea weed, chopped up cocktail shrimp, all sometimes soaked in GARLIC, and SELCON concentrate"

My hippo wouldn't eat anything but green seaweed for along time when i first got him/her and still turns a fin at the red stuff. Hope it starts eating soon.

Eric

wish I had some green sea weed to try

thanks for the vote of confidence, I hope he's still alive when I get home

If so ok gonna buy some green sea weed tomorrow and try it!!!

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I was hospitalized last Friday and have just been released. Had a mystery infection which has cleared up.

I tried to address feeding a new fish in this sticky post I put up a couple of weeks ago. Make sure you go through this post: My New Fish Won't Eat -- Tips.

If the fish takes in food and spits it out, the matter is usually the choice of food. If the fish doesn't take anything in, the matter is usually a source of stress. Stress includes water quality. And water quality includes even things beyond test kits -- like source water quality, salt quality, etc. Stress also includes grounding, acclimation, etc. as noted in the above link.

Are you measuring all water quality parameters and holding them constant? Are you sure your source water hasn't deviated or needs improvement? What is your source water and how do you test its quality?

Only use a test kit and measure for ammonia and nitrite, especially after a feeding and all day, every couple of hours, after a filter clean up. I'm a bit concerned that your filter clean up may be upsetting the bacteria or 'putting them off' from their job' of maintaining water poisons.

Try a 60% water change of the total volume and since this is a large change, follow the guidelines here: How to Make a Successful Water Change.

Keep us informed!

Wow. Dr. Lee I'm glad u are ok reeffrontiers wouldnt be the same without u sorry it took me so long to respond to this post. Glad the infection cleared up whatever it was. I figured u was in Hawaii like most all other docs would be. LOL.

As far as dori he's in that big huge fish bowl in the sky and I think you were right it probably did have something to do with me cleaning ALL MY SPONGES.

guess I won't be doing that no more

Well sounds like you lost the fish?

I went to me LFS yesterday & saw two Hippos with sunken in stomaches!

Sorry to hear about your hospital visit, Lee! I'm glad to see you are on the mend.

Trillyen - sorry about your tang! :(

Back