Dosing equipment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
what do you guys use to dose kalk in your tanks???? does anyone use the Kent dosing container???

I actually had a Kent aqua doser, the larger one. It works well but you have to keep filling it. My new tank I will either use a kalk stirrer of some sort or maybe a larger holding tank to dose.

because i am switching to sps, i am about to have to start testing and maintaning my calcium/alk levels...i need to come up with a good dosing system for my tank

I will be using the old standard, A holding tank of Approx 20 gallons, it will be dosed with a Litremeter3 , I will be carrying these items as well. With this system I will have dosing from the same level as my sump . The pump used on the system has a 35 ft head so where it is will not matter.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_prec_p0.htm

Best dosing pump on the market.

i don't really have a bunch of $$$ to automate my tank right now..i will probably just go with something rigged:D

Get a Cheaper pump, like a Aqua Medic to standardize it. With a tank of Approx 20 gallons you could do it and it would last for about a week to week and half. Plus allot cheaper

what do you guys use to dose kalk in your tanks???? does anyone use the Kent dosing container???
I asked my lfs about the Kent dosing container and he told me that the unit was good but I could make one for less than 1/4 the price and get the size of jug I need. He thought it was over priced.

it is definately over priced for a jug of plastic...i have a spare 20g tank (Glass) i can use to keep it in...i will have to build a small stand for it inside of my tank stand..i can place it next to my sump..will this work??

a bucket with a pump and a tunze doser i cant find the ref. number for the specific product but yeh this is what i was gonna do the buckt would have kalkwasser in it and this tunze thing would read the water and then dose the correct amount
or u could have a bucket with kalk and a pump that cums on every 6 hours for 10 mins

i didn't even think about that..i could setup a 5g bucket next to the sump..i bet that would get old refilling it every night though

Build a DIY kalk reactor and use a maxijet 400 to feed it from an RO bin with an ATO float switch . Save yourself the daily work.

Build a DIY kalk reactor and use a maxijet 400 to feed it from an RO bin with an ATO float switch . Save yourself the daily work.

Although this seems to be the NEW standard in kalk dosing it has to be the worst Ive seen.
Kalk needs to be dosed slowly or it will just precip. You will just be topping off and wasting kalk powder. It does work but is just way to inefficient and way to hard on equipment. Kalk is much more capable of maintaining ca and alk than most realize if its used properly.
This method started years ago but with the use of peri pumps and has evolved to folks just being cheap and using pumps like the mj.
FWIW Omega has a full line of very inexpensive peri pumps that work great. The one I currently use is 12ml min. and it runs about 15hours per day.

Don

Don, what do you use to store your water in????

I store my water in a 4" x 20" clear acrylic tube with latching floats and relay connected to my rodi. The peri pump sends it to the kalk stirrer.

Don

i may just have to go with the extra 20g that i have sitting around..actually, can i use a rubbermaid container??? i remeber that i have ran copper in my 20g..i really don't want it leaching back into my display

i may just have to go with the extra 20g that i have sitting around..actually, can i use a rubbermaid container??? i remeber that i have ran copper in my 20g..i really don't want it leaching back into my display

It really doesnt matter what you store the mix in. Its more about how you dose it.
You could use rubbermaid. Elevate it next to the sump. Put a bulkhead in the side a few inches off the bottom. Fill it with water and kalk stir it for awhile. Put a valve on the bulkhead so it doses drop by drop.
This to will become a pain because the valve will plug up on a regular basis along with the hose. But it will get you by untill you come up with a better system.

Don

thanks Don..i need to hear as many possible ideas as i can..what happens when the valve clogs?? will i have to empty the whole container just to unclog it???

thanks Don..i need to hear as many possible ideas as i can..what happens when the valve clogs?? will i have to empty the whole container just to unclog it???

No, just opening and closing the valve will free the sediment. What you need to understand is that as soon as kalk hits air or sw it precips(hard and crusty). Knowing that you can set your system up to work well.:)

Don

will a bulkhead fit onto a rubbermaid container???(without leaking)..i have some spare bulkheads with hose barbed ends

Back