Dragonegg's Tank Status

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dragoneggs

I finally made some finishing touches on the tank set up and added some new coral thanks to ARSA. I suspended the LED light fixtures from the vaulted ceiling. This is a welcome changes as I was previously using rails that ran fore/aft resting on the rim of the tank. The rails were kinda cool because I could slide the fixtures fore/aft but by removing them, I now have uninterupted access to the sides of the tank all the way around the tank.

The first pic shows the new suspension system, the lights are still less than 3in from the surface. No heat from the LED's allows this.

The second pic, if you look hard, shows the shelf that I built that is behind and just a bit below the bottom of the tank. I am resting the timers/ballasts for the two LED fixtures and also the two Vortech powerhead controllers. The wife should be happy about the new clean look under the tank. She wants to store a couple of ottomans there that can be pulled out for company or close viewing of the tank.

The third pic is the obligitory FTS :D

Some tank inhabitants here... these guys don't typically hang out together but today they seemed to enjoy the photo op. I have a pair of picasso perculas that enjoy the front left corner of the tank. I recently dropped in a large brain coral and that has drawn the attention of my Chevron Tang and my Orange Spotted Goby. Maybe my favorite fish is the Vermiculated Leopard Wrasse who is usually pretty shy but is doing well. The way he swims you would think he is underpowered but when he (or she) wants to move, like diving into the sand to go to bed... wow!

Some new coral additions... again thanks to ARSA! proper I.D's welcome. The first is a red gonipora I believe. The second is a giant mushroom of some sort. The third a chalice?

Yeah and no XYZ (examine your zipper) as I embarrassingly remind you how you keenly pointed out during my previous build. :oops: Still angling to get down to visit your piece of the ocean!

Haha!! Glad to see you are keeping your pants on properly :p Yea man, definately still have to try make it down. :)

Looks great! What size tank is that? On your pics I believe the last pic of the coral is a blood red chalice.

nice and clean looking where is the sump located? also what led fixtures are you using?

Sump is located in my basement. I have a 30ft run of drain and return to a fish room. I will post a couple pics if you want.

Lighting is Maxspect 160w LED unit x 2. These things are great. No heat. Nice spectrum and sexy to boot.

Last edited:
well,,well design and engineer just like the way you are as always:),,great looking tank and very nice aquscape,,more picture please,,love to see them all ,,thanks for sharing ,,,Mark

Well since you asked Dang... here are a few more! Not sure on the first two, a green chalice, acro of some sort, and a frogspawn.

One of my favorite, elegance coral (from BR) along with one of the ricordias I picked up from my trip to Orlando and short visit to MACNA in September, and my pagoda cup from my previous tank originally from Reef Mystique.

well,,well design and engineer just like the way you are as always:),,great looking tank and very nice aquscape,,more picture please,,love to see them all ,,thanks for sharing ,,,Mark

Thank you Dang... the pictures don't do the aquascaping justice. Having a 63in by 30in footprint gives me the fore/aft depth to really do some fun things. There is plenty of beach in front with several tunnels and cravasses around a center Matterhorn mountain in the front middle of the tank. Also a large Tonga branch makes a bridge that my cleaner shrimp loves to perch upside down on.

And a few more... Hydronopora?, Pocillipora?, green thing? Sorry, any I.D.s would be appreciated!

The first one is a hydnophora, the second is a pocillapora, the third one appears to be a hydnophora as well.

How long have you had the system set up? Are you seeing any growth in your corals with the LED's?

I'd be very interested in seeing pics of your sump set up. I really like the nice clean look of your display.

Nick

Back