Dragonface pipefish fry update

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nana Chloropsis

The count is four and obviously newborns. I wish I could post a pic but really they are just SO tiny! They are very wiggly, clear with some banding and you can see their silver eyes and little bellies. I would describe them at first glance as clearish, long worms. There were more, but I don't think they transfer well, many were lost already, tangled in the tiny bit of caulerpa in the bag on the way home. :(

The link for them Brie gave helps Surprise Dragonface Pipefish fry!

They are hanging on the sides of the shallow container I have them in for now. From my experience with clown larvae (they also will do that and end up starving) I am slowly adding phyto to their water to green it up and help them see their food. I am not using any air in their tank yet (as advice from forum) but keeping their water shallow. With only four, I don't think oxygen demand will be that high. I think I will depend on a strict regime of small water changes , any thoughts? I usually enrich my rotifers when I have larvae (gut load them with HUFA) but too late for that right now, and I initially started this rotifer culture over a year ago...I know I ordered the smaller strain but who knows what they have evolved to since then. I know my culture water contains some ciliates ( maybe a good thing) and no baby 'pods (maybe good, maybe bad) but I would be happier if I have some fresh live zooplankton. lol

Anyone have any advice? I am not confident this is going to work!

Congrats on the new additions! I read on Brie's thread that you acquired them. I can imagine what a challenge it will be to feed fry this size. If you do go with the frequent water changes to help with water quality, you will have to probably be very careful in making sure everything is exact with your new water (ie temp, salinity, ph etc) as I'm sure fry this size are probably not that hardy. I wonder if the guys over at MBI would have any advice to offer??? They have their own forum here http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f239/ and might be worth a shot. I know they are more involved with the actual breeding of fish, but may have something to offer on raising the fry as well. Guess it couldn't hurt to ask. Other than that, Paul (PaulB) has had pipefish from what I can remember and for some reason I'm thinking he may have had fry at some point. Not 100% sure, but might be worth a shot as well asking him just incase.

Just a few things that came to mind. I've never raised any type of fry so honestly, wouldn't know where to begin. Good luck! :)

Thanks Mike and Krish ( and Sid, for your vote of confidence) - I am praying that they make it but just as in clown raising, there is a learning curve. My first attempt at them I only had two survivors, but I did get better at it as I went along and yep, that water change bit can get tricky with larvae that's for sure...and I don't have parent tank water to change it from...grrr

I will try MBI and keep searching, every bit of advice helps!

Today's update, all four are still alive and kicking. Two are considerably larger and more active than the other two, and I can see them "snicking" at some food occasionally. I am watching the two smaller ones carefully, I am afraid that they aren't eating. I've reviewed my original invoice for rotifers and they are indeed the L strain, possibly too large for the mouths of the smaller pipefish. If I had more than just these two ( and at such a late date) I would probably order some S strain rots to try out on them. I have tried pulverizing some Otohime A, softening it a bit and target feeding the little ones but if I do that too much, I risk fouling the water.

Not much information out there on rearing these small pipefish, MBI has a bit but not a lot of follow-up, which makes me think that the success story people just aren't talking or... you know :(

Does anyone have much experience here with decapsulated brine shrimp? I feel it's pie in the sky at this point, but I happen to like pie. I never used nauplii with clown fry, I went from rotifers to introducing Otohime A at day 4, overlapping them until they were all on Otohime by metamorphosis (around day 10)...so it's been years since I hatched a sea monkey.

Well, I have to write my sad conclusion, as in other threads in other forums on same subject, they all are sadly lacking their end result, which makes me believe that there has not been much success in rearing DF pipefish fry. Today, all four have died. (wow, that was hard to write!) I have learned a lot though, and I do believe that given a breeding pair and having the proper set-up in advance ( a shallow kreisel bowl set-up using greenwater and s or ss strain rotifers and lots of fry) that it could be done successfully.

Sorry to hear... I agree with Sid though. You really did try and I'm sure if you attempted it again, you would have better success with the increased knowledge you have on it now as well as you could be better prepared. :)

Hey Nana, sorry to hear and like Michael & krish stated thanks for sharing and sure you will have greater success with each learning experience. My pair of DF Pipes do alot of courting so some day may get a chance myself at rearing some of thier offspring. I've been meaning to invite you and Mr. nana over for a visit sometime as well as a having a NSR get together over to my place.

Cheers, Todd

Back