Draining and refilling my tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Craiz

Is a garden hose safe to use to transport salt water? Would I be better with a new one or one that has been used for awhile?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I need to temporarily move my tank out of the room it is and then put it back. It will only be for a day or two. I have enough containers to hold all of the water. I'm trying to come up with the best way to get it into the containers and then back into the tank. My plan so far is to put all the containers (rubbermaids and extra tanks) in the garage and then siphon or pump it from the tank to the garage using a garden hose. Then when I'm ready, I can pump it back into the tank. It's a 210g tank and this would be much easer than carrying the water.

As a side question, is it possible to do "sophisticated" searches using boolean operations? For example to search for "garden hose" without getting every post with either "garden" or "hose". I tried "garden hose" and garden+hose and didn't get any better results.

Thanks,

Paul

Id like to tag along on the search question here :)
My guess is that you would want an aquarium specific hose to transport water. Who knows whats inside a garden hose, maybe if it was brand new and you rinsed it well with hot water...

I use vinyl hose now (available at home depot among many other places ) but I have used garden hose in the past with no ill effects. I wouldn't use hot water out of the tap to rinse it with because the copper concentration tends to be higher on the hot side. Just flush it with cold water first and away you go.

I use a garden hose to fill my tank, however I have cut off the all the brass. I put one of the repair ends on the female side.

i use the acrylic hose too. im worried about contaminating my water with the stuff they use to coat the inside of the hose.

i've seen warning labels on garden hoses saying not to drink out of them due to the possibility of lead poisoning. you'd think that it wouldn't be legal for them to use any sort of lead containing coatings (to protect the ground water if nothing else), but the labels are there.

They make a hose that is "food grade" The one I have is flesh colored and the inside is black. They are pricey but it does work good. I have one and have used it constantly.

Back