Drilling an acrylic tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
Im looking to get a bigger tank and all i can find are acrylic's with no built in overflows. so ive found some overflow boxes i could glue in but im not sure how good of idea it is to drill the bottom of an acrylic tank? is pretty simple? is it just as safe with the hole than without?

Last edited:
It will not create a weak spot on the bottom. The tank must be fully supported on the bottom, unlike many glass tanks.
Just get a new holesaw the size you want to drill. Go slow, keep the bit wet, and dont stop until you are thru.

It is simple as it sounds, and it is safer (IMO) than without a hole.

Dave, are you saying you feel the tank is safer "with" a hole in the bottom than without a hole? Just a clarification for others.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I believe when he was talking an overflow box he was talking about the tower type that gets glued into the tank with a drain hole in the bottom, hence the question of drilling the bottom of the tank. I don't believe he was talking about an over the back overflow box.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

anytime you put a hole in something its going to make week in that area. it is safe to drill the hole in the acrylic. just make sure you don't drill the hole to close to the edge and you will be fine. also how thick is the acrylic your going to drill?

not sure how thick it's going to be. Im still shopping craigslist and stuff for a good tank at the right price.
how far from the edhe should i stay? atleast an inch?

Another option is the "Barr Aquatic Overflow Box" with a box on the inside and a single hole to drain and mount the box.

Tom does not sell the box anymore so I hope searching to the link will give you some ideas for retrofit.

If you bottom drill be sure to leave enough room for the bulkhead and the bulkhead nut. Not a lot of fun tighting the nut to stop a slow leak after filling with water (worse if substrate too).

i would say the thicker the better. i have two acrylic tanks. one is a 160 gallon made out of thin acrylic. it bows out a little. my other tank is a 360 gallon made out of 3/4 acrylic and doesnt bow. as for drilling the hole. drill as far away from edge as you can. i would say no less than 2 inches. hope this helps

ok thanks for the info. i like that little box idea for the overflow small discrete. but i wonder how it is on noise? What i think my plan is going to be is one 1" hole in each corner. then one 1" hole in the middle towards the top of the tank for the return.

Another tip given to me was go in reverse with the hole saw, there is less chance it will bind up and chip something. Worked like a charm for my sump.

ah ok.
what do you guys think about using a diamond bit made for glass?

Drilling plex is very easy. Do not use a diamond bit it will get to hot. I have drilled quite a few tanks with no problem. My current tank isdrilled through the bottom. Just drill slow and steady with not to much pressure. When you get close to being through drill the rest
from the opposite side. That will help from chipping. As stated before stay away from the edge or you will have no way to seal and
tighten your bulkhead.

Last edited:
All good advice ^above^ acrylic is much easier/faster and safer to drill using a quality and/or new Hole Saw made for wood. I have drilled many tanks both glass and acrylic and my best advice is to#1 get the tank #2 figure out exactly which type of overflow you want ie; Herbie or Durso #3 purchase and have in hand all Bulkheads to be used#4 buy the correct size or matching Hole Saws #5 layout your planned plumbing and mark locations #6 THEN DRILL

Cheers, Todd

Back