Dust has settled from lesson learned....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dave 777

Stingray guy
After the ich outbreak that took out all my fish except my foxface, I bought another lionfish and he has been in QT 6 weeks as of today. He is eating well. Already eating frozen shrimp and silversides. My question is, if he has shown no signs of any illness yet, is he cool to go in the main tank now? This pretty much guarantees I'll have a disease free tank? After the carnage a while back, I'm leary to throw fish in the tank now. The foxface was successfully treated with hyposalinity and he is in the main tank. I guess I'm nervous about adding a fish without treating it for something? Thanks for your input.

Assuming the proper diagnosis was Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) AND the display tank went fishless for no less than 8 weeks AND no one added fish to the display tank nor contaminated the display with any addition of livestock of any sort that could bring or carry Marine Ich, nor contaminated the display with Marine Ich by equipment (nets, filters, etc.) or splashing from treatment tanks or other outside sources, then the display is ready.

IF for any reason the 6 weeks in QT were not truly quarantine (additions occurred, water from the display tank was used for water changes, possible contamination of the QT could have occurred, etc., etc.) then the fish isn't ready until the quarantine goes for the true 6+ weeks. :cool:

Inspect the lionfish closely. They are slow to show signs of Marine Ich sometimes so look closely. :D

the main tank was fallow for 8 weeks + more because the foxface was in treatment longer. Foxface went in display after his qt was complete. Now lion has been in "true qt" for 6 weeks.

Back