DYI 400 Watts MH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

i was wondering..what would happen if i use a 400 watts ballast that is commerial use..and use it on a 400watts mongul socket and fire up some 20k bulbs that are used for fish tank? would that do anything to my tank or energy wise?

A 400 watt would be about 40 bucks extra on your monthly bill. 400 watts is alot of light. But what is it hangin above. What size tank? Whats the setup , FO or FOWLR or mixed reef or SPS tank?

i'm..as for energy bill i'm not too worry gary..its just i'm scared a commerial ballast might not be good for reef tank...i'm thinking about running 2x400watts on my 4 feet 3feet wide and 22 inch height tank..maybe around 130..and its mixed reef..but trying to mainly use it for sps..

The commercial ballest would just be better constructed with higher quality componets. It would cost more and last longer and ill bet it would be quieter then the regular ones.

oh..okay..because i just bought 2x400watts for 80 bucks..i thought i might have got rip off..because its commerial..but ballast seem so much bigger..at least the container that hold it..

I use two 400w comercial ballast in a DIY 10x10x6 electrical box. I mounted a 4" computer fan to the lid of the box for cooling. I also have them run off 240v to lessen my power bill. The ballast are in the garage and the ballast are controled by remote electric timers mounted under my tank. IMO the comercial ballast have worked great!

ill bet it would be quieter then the regular ones.

I guess you should've bought icecap ballasts. Ive had four 250s and five 400s in the last three years and none of them have made any noise. Ive had so many due to more tanks and more upgrades. Never a bad ballast

To sum up ballasts and bulbs very quickly......
The ballasts you buy will effect bulb life depending on how they fire and whether or not they over or underdrive the bulbs. Some ballasts are also more energy efficeint than others as well.
The light the bulbs emit depending on color spectrum and brand is what effects coral health the most.

Most "ballasts" use the same or similar ballast coil.... (as long as you are comparing the same- pule, probe, hqi, etc.). They do differ in the source of the ballast (USA, China, Hungary, etc.) and the housing they mount inside. The typical "commercial" are designed as a heat sink, housing, and luminarc holder. The typical aquatic use is usually a remote mount housing. Hydroponic is usually a commercial housing adaptation.

Look inside at the decal on the ballast itself. (unplug all power first, and do NOT touch any exposed wiring or terminals). That number (M59, etc.) is indication of what type of bulb it is designed to run. Post it here and someone should be able to see exactly what you have.
Rgds, D

Back