Ecotech mounting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

michellechristine

Sorry in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section, still figuring things out. My first choice for a new lighting system I have been working on is the Ecotech Radions. The only problem I have is that I have a hood on the tank that I would like to keep using, and Ecotech recommends not installing in an enclosed hood.... So I took off the lids of my hood and am trying to figure out how to mount the light without hanging them from the ceiling. I do not want to hang them because where I chose to put the tank is under a vaulted ceiling and I don't want to deal with hanging my lights from a vaulted ceiling. I also thought about getting the mounting arms they have but because I want to leave my hood on there is no good place to clamp the arms onto. Tank is about 60" long and about 18" wide. I want to get two XR30w's. Let me know if I should give anymore info or pictures, any feedback would help!

I saw a picture of a tank where the guy didn't want to get rid of his hood also, so he cut holes in the top of his canopy and fit the fixture through the hole. He made little metal brackets that were screwed into the holes that are on top of the Radions, that prevented the fixture from falling through.
Looked pretty slick.

They have 90deg angle metal at the hardware store.
Or look in the lighting section. I just screwed mine into the top of my hood.
Hths
D

My first choice for a new lighting system I have been working on is the Ecotech Radions. The only problem I have is that I have a hood on the tank that I would like to keep using, and Ecotech recommends not installing in an enclosed hood....

This pretty much because a hood would have a tendency to trap moist air inside. If you can open it up some and maybe install a small fan or two like computer fans, you could get away with using them.

If you do get Radions, once you figure out how to use the programs, you will love them. After having two tanks that are lite by Radions, I would never use another brand.

Back