Ecotech Radion controlled via the GHL ProfiLux Controller

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BigAl07

Many people are "on the fence" about the new Radion LED fixtures because the software hasn't been released to GHL yet so they can write the needed code to be able to control them. I just got confirmation today on this very topic directly from EcoTech:

Johnathan- Customer Service (Employee) 11 minutes ago
Yes; the Radion was designed to work with the existing controllers that support EcoTech Marine products and the software to do so is currently in development.

So at least we know it really is "in the works" we just have to wait until they release it. At least if someone was "on the fence" about whether or not to buy one based on your ProfiLux investment you can rest pretty well (not 100% yet but close) knowing that the odds are in our favor now. At least Ecotech admits they are going to do this when just 2 weeks ago they pretty much were "hush hush" one way or the other.

:)

Have you got a Radion running over your tank?

Nick

In my DREAMS :) I'm running a 3 year old custom DIY LED over my work tank and I have a Custom "Factory" made LED that should ship out today from Canada for my RSM130D tank at home.

I just know of several people who are literally "on the fence" on buying because they are worried that Ecotech wont release their code to GHL. I'm big into ProfiLux and try to help any time I can with them so that's why I'm sharing this information.

When asked about at least a general "Projected date of release" here is what we got back from Ecotech

Johnathan- Customer Service (Employee) a minute ago
While I don't have a date, I can tell you that it's something we're aggressively pursuing and will be available sometime in the near future.

I'm not on the fence of buying a Radion, I'm on the fence of buying LED lighting in general.

I'd love to know more about your 3 year old DIY set up. What sort of corals are you growing and how deep in the tank are you growing them?

Who did you order your DIY kit from as well?

Nick

Nick my 3 year old LED unit is in my office tank which is a JBJ nanocube 12DX. It came with 36w PC and I upgraded it with another 18w PC but I wanted to go LED! I have a background in "Green/Echo" and felt like the sooner I went LED the better.

My LED parts were ordered from all over the place and because I did it early on took FOREVER to get the parts all in one place. It's a pretty long build and after looking back I realize I mis-spoke and these are only 2 years old. My mistake. Here's a link to the build on this unit:
DIY LED Fixture - WORK IN PROGRESS!

I "financed" the project and another reefing friend did the actual build, testing and work on the unit. Because I went CHEAP on some components all the cheap stuff has had to be replaced except the UV diodes and I never could see they added anything to the mix so I never replaced them after they died in the first year. Buy cheap buy several times LOL.

I've grown everything under these lights from softies to SPS. The key to LED is not under-estimating their intensity. Even though they are low wattage they convert a lot more of those watts into PAR than most other lights do so you're getting more "Bang for your buck" in terms of electricity. I torched several SPS frags by putting them into this tank (They were up high under MH/T5 in my 90g) and not realizing just how intense LED really is. I started out at about 30% or so and cranked it up every week. In about week 3 I noticed the SPS really getting pale and by the time I made the changes they were gone. I lost birdsnest, stylophora, green slimer and a couple of others. Luckily they were "test" frags. I finally realized how to "work" the lights and the tank is doing well. I almost took this tank down a few months ago because I moved further from my office and water changes are a pain but I decided to keep it up and running and I'm in the process now of growing out coral for it again.

Rock on....

thanks for the link...I've got some reading to do.

Nick

Back