Ed's New Toy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LakeEd

Achilles
Well, I managed to find an awesome deal on a new Tank. Thank you to Mr Mike Whitman on Whitbey Island for this wonderful oppertunity for me! It was the deal of a lifetime!!!

Here is a list of what I just bought:

MY NEW TANK

180 Gallon “SeaClear” Acrylic, Black Back. No Overflow Boxes, nor Drilled.
3 – Opening Covers (Tank only requires 2)

Oak Stand and 6” Oak Light Hood.

40 Gallon Sump, w/4 Bulkhead Fittings installed
3 – 7 ½” Ring Opening X 16” Filter Socks

4 – ½” X 6” Loc-Line W/4 Dispersers
2 – 1” Ball Valves
1” PVC “T”
2 – ½” PVC “L”s
2 – 1” Clear Horizontal Check Valves
2 – 2” Bulkhead Fittings
Numerous “REO” Gray PVC Fittings

200lbs Fine Crushed “Puca Shell” Coral

Iwaki Pump - MD-40RT-115NL ¾”
Iwaki Pump - MD-40RXT-115NL 1”
New MAG pump (label removed) [1” input – ½” output]
Rio 3100
Rio 2500
Rio 1100
Rio 50
3-Rio 600 (all seem to be broken)
Rio 3100 Impeller (New)

Whisper 400 Air Pump
Reva Air 100 Air Pump

Coralife Mega-Watt High Intensity 25watt UV Sterilizer
Coralife Mega-Watt High Intensity 15watt UV Sterilizer (Donated to Jeff – Stang69, along with a Rio 1400 for the help picking up my tank)

2 – AGA 36” Fluorescent Twin-Tube NO light fixtures W/ “Fresh Water” bulbs

AETech’s (ETSS) Reef Devil 750 Dual Injection Protein Skimmer
Spare Collection Cup
ETSS Large Auto-Waste Container

Acquamarine Refractometer
SeaTest Specific Gravity Meter
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. Fresh/Salt Nitrate (NO3) Test Kit
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. Fresh/Salt Ammonia (NH3/NH4) Test Kit
Salifert KH/ALK Test Kit ( ¾ Full)
Salifert NO3 (Nitrate) Test Kit ( ½ Full)
Lifegard “Big Digital” Temp Alert
Floaty-bob Thermometer
9oz Activated Carbon
Titanium Grounding Probe
Rainbow Lifegard Scratch Removal Kit (about ½)
23” Kent Marine Scrapper
2 – Fish Nets
2 Rondomatic 400 Automatic Fish Feeders

3 – 3outlet, 2 prong extension cords
1 – 3outlet, 2 prong extension cord
1 Shock-Buster GFCI
2 Power Strips

Not sure if anyone would be interested in some pictures besides me, but here they are! :)

1010Tank_Stand1.jpg

1010Tank_Side1.jpg

1010Hood_-_Rondomatics1.jpg

1010Pumps_UV1.jpg

1010ETSS_Collector1.jpg

1010ETSS_750_Skimmer1-med.jpg

Ohhhh... did I mention this was a deal of a lifetime????? Lets just mention, that I still have both arms and legs... the price was AWESOME!!! *Big Smile*

Sorry about the way it linked in the pictures here... guess I need to learn how to do it correctly before the next try. LOL

I must say folks Ed did inded get this tank on a steal of a deal. The guy was awsome and nice as could be.

Tank is great and the equipment was like new.

Good luck Ed Im sure I wil be over to return the favor you did helping me with mine.

Even though its gonna be a softee tank :D:D:D:D (running joke folks I have nothing aginst softee tanks.)

Yes and we fit it all IN a Jeep Cherokee

Jeff

Last edited:
Well Ed, I helped ya out ;) Umm all you needed to do was clik the pic again and get to the actual picture and get the properties from there.

Well Ed, do you have the salt water mixed up yet? What's the hold up man. :D

You'd better put an RO/DI on the Christmas list!

You should feel special...this is my first RF post. :)

Travis

Ed that stuff will give you nuttin but probs man.
You better let me come over and dispose of it for ya in the back of my Chevy truck. I'm sure it'll fit. :D
Just kidding ya.
You scored Brah!
Can't wait to see it up and running.

Maui :D

Tom... thanks for the help with the pictures... I almost had it right. LOL

Travis - WOW!!! I'm impressed... you joined us "Local's" now!!! *Grinz*

Mauisreef... Good try! You should of hears Stang69 all darn afternoon... kept tellin me that my Girlfriend wouldn't be happy with that large of tank, and to save me that grief, I should just drop it off at his place, then setup his 125 at mine!!! Ummm, it didn't work for him either! *wink*

I need to installing corner overflows (possiblly a coast to coast as well) taking care of the drilling, and some minor polishing before I actually set it up... so I'm looking at probably the weekend just before Christmas before its all wet. Being this close to IAP does have its advantages, don't ya know. Hummmmm... that long *pout* Okay, perhaps I'll be tinkerin much faster than planned.

gbr Welcome to Reef Frontiers, we hope you keep coming back.

LakeEd great score man. You have to post pics as the project evolves. I love seeing stuff like that.

Angelscrx,

Thank you, I'm definately excited!!! *Big Smile*

The stand height was a little short for me, so Jeff (Stang69) and I raised it up to a much more usable height lastnight [it was only a 30" stand, so raised it 6"]. I'm in the middle of polishing out all of the little scratches, installing overflow boxes, drilling holes, installing plumbing, and in general just setting it all up. As soon as I get a break, I'll see what the pictures looked like, and get some posted here.

Last edited:
Stand Raising

Okay... here are a couple pictures of raising my stand.

This is the stand flipped upside down.

1010Rebuild01-1.JPG

The bottom removed;

1010Rebuild02-2.JPG

2X6 addition;

1010Rebuild04-3.JPG

Flipped upright;

1010Rebuild07_-4.JPG

Showing additional inside height;

1010Rebuild08-5.JPG

I will be putting 1X6 Oak stained to match the tank around this 2X6 addition. The Oak will be 1/4 round to match the upper 1X3 lip. This will totally hide the raised addition.

Last edited:
What happened to my "FISH" Tank????

I was soooo disapointed. Come around the corner of the house, and I see that my "Fish" tank is now a "JEFF TANK"!!!

Talk about a SHOCKER!!!!!!!!

1010Jeff_Tank.JPG

Okay... so we were really buffing out the minor scratches. Jeff being the little guy he is found it much easier to just crawl in there.

Hummmmm... sure hope his feet didn't leave anything behind that would end up killin off everything I put in there in the future??? Well, at least I'll have a reason for unexpected things happenin now... huh? *evil grin*

Hey Jeff you missed a spot!
Rookin guood guys.
I can still take that all off your hands fer ya if you feel its to much work! :lol:
Steady as she goes mates!

Maui :D

Here are some pictures now that I've transfered my old tank into this new one. I only have about 100lbs of rock to date, so yea... it looks a little lopsided. C'mon Tax Money!!! *grinz*

This is the full tank (Don't mind the towels on the Light hood, thats still a work in progress)
1010Full_Tank_Medium_.JPG

The Left Side
1010Left_Side_Medium_.JPG

My poor "Small" leather coral there on the Right Side of my tank allll alone. Okay... okay... perhaps he isn't THAT little. *grinz*
1010Leather_Medium_.JPG

Hey Ed! looking good i'll have to come and check it out. I love how you made the canopy doors. What is that cotton or rayon. :)

Good luck Dave

Back