eductors

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spieszak

i did a search.. looks like no one here has mentioned eductors since 2004.
wondering if anyone is using them? i'm just curious, not planning on adding anything, just wonder why it seems like they never really 'caught on' understanding why things never made it into mainstream use is helpful to me as new things come available, and flow is one of those things for me where i'm always looking at the 'new' thing because it always seems that mine isn't quite where i'd like it to be..

I have one on one of my returns from my sump. They do seem to increase flow, but it is all directional flow. It Depends on what you are looking for, but I am not really impressed with them.

you don't see them in the trade that much probably cuz the pumps these days are more technology advanced.

you don't see them in the trade that much probably cuz the pumps these days are more technology advanced.

Where they popular at one point then? I don't see much discussion on them in searches... but that just might be a factor of the aging internet...

I bought various different models, and used them over time. Overall, not impressed. The spinning ones tend to stop spinning soon after they get any detritus or anything else in them. They add a LOT of plastic to your tank, meaning, how can I explain this... I like as little stuff as possible in my main display, the smaller the power heads, returns, drains, whatever, the better. I don't like to see a bunch of non native stuff in my display. The penductors eductors whatever, are HUGE. the one for a 3/4 inch return is like 4 inches long and an inch and a half in diameter. Just to unsightly looking for my taste. That's why I love Tunze, small footprint, or even better, the new Jebao pumps.

I have one of the WP40's. Its awesome, and I'm thinking about adding one of the smaller, or possibly even another 40.
Flow is hard for me. It feels like you can't get to 'ocean' levels, but you don't want to be to far from it either... and getting enough to the corals that want it without blasting the ones that don't... well, it always seems like a challenge...
I started looking at alternatives just to educate myself and these came up. It was pretty obvious they don't get much use, so that leads to wondering why...

Back