Edumacate me in Tunze pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I need some serious education, in all the differences within Tunze pumps. I see them for sale, used, all the time, but have NO IDEA what any of the model numbers mean. For instance, I'll see Tunze 6000 or Tunze 6100 or even more confusing, Tunze 6100.10. I Google all of these and come up with nothing...lol.

Then I read about Tunze with a different transformer, Tunze that are controllable and non-controllable, Tunze controllers with different model numbers. Argh!!! It's all too much!!

I have a 200 deep dimension and would like to at least learn about different options for more controllable flow.

I really want to know more about them. Can someone PLEASE take me to "Tunze School?"

modle number like a SWC 250 and a SWC 180 cone

Even there controllers have a particular number
for instance

on the Tunze streams 2 with the new shaft go like this
6105 tunze turbelle stream 2(792 to 3,434 USgal.)
6205 tunze turbelle stream 2(1,320 to 5,811 USgal./h)
6305 tunze turbelle stream 2(2,377 to 7,925 USgal./h)

To edamacate you, first you need to be edumacatable:lol:

My father left me a legacy in my favorite quote.
"Education is expensive.
If it ain't been expensive, you ain't been educated."
Herb Shifton

As to Tunzes, Finn and Trido know quite a lot about them

6000 is not controlable and the 6100's are 6200's 6300's are the 6100.10 are just an updated model something is done to be more efficent or changed rod motor something to that effect. call me if you have any questions I love my tunze pumps.

Tunze-Roger Vitko- Good service and they back up their products!

A little bit about Roger.. Tunze USA

When it comes to pumps in this hobby, one name comes to mind (we’re talking about high end here)…Tunze. Tunze is a German company that designs and manufactures all sorts of high end aquarium products. Their claim to fame would have to be the wide flow & high volumn stream pumps. These pumps use a propeller and large nozzles to generate the perfect amount of wide, gentle flow needed in reef tanks. There’s a bunch of different sized pumps, so one should meet the requirements of your tank.

Several reasons set Tunze apart from other manufactures in this industry. First, their design, innovation and development of products set the standards that others tend to copy. Most of their products are built in Germany, which means their quality is second to none. Most of their products are re-buildable, so parts are available to repair worn out products. They sell items, such as the wavebox, that no other company can compete with. Finally, their product support in the US is the best!

Tunze USA is located in Austin, TX. Roger Vitko is the man behind the product support at Tunze USA. When anyone has a problem or needs a part, be assured that you’ll be taken care of. You can check out the Tunze forum on Reefcentral to see what I mean. Here’s a link to Tunze’s Forum. I’ve used Tunze support on several occasions and Roger has always went above and beyond. I got a chance to stop by Tunze’s warehouse and picked up some parts on my trip to Austin. Pictures below. BTW, I currently run two 6065s in the display tank, two 6025s in the frag tank, and use an osmolator for topoff. Hoping to upgrade to controllable 6105s and a wavebox in the future.
The above was someone talking about the Tunze Man Roger Vitko.

Here is a link on RC to his forum.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=92

I have used Tunzes 6000s, 6100s, and 6200s they were all controlable. The design has changed. I love the service that this guy has provided over the years!:)

Another Tunze or Roger Vitko Fan!
Ed Hahn

I have 2 tunze 6100's in my wave box that are controlled by a 7095 multicontroller and it works pretty nicely . I am happy with them except
i wish i would have found a few bigger sizes (more flow) . The one thing i
know though is that once mine die that they are kinda becoming obsolete
and the parts are scarce. But they work great and show no signs of letting
up LOL :) Also i contacted roger about a cord jacket seperating from the
housing and this is when i found out the news of them being kinda obsolete
...But he is a great guy and told me that when i decide to upgrade that i
would get a very big discount for upgrading :) And last but not least is
that these were used when i bought them on r2r and the seller said that
he ran them for 4-5 years and ive been running them for probably about
6 months now in my 180 first, then my 300 and they are running great at a
maybe 1-2 second interval . I would have gone with the newer ones if i
wouldnt have found this whole setup for a really good deal .

Be carefull of the 6000s and 6100s as they are a much older series of pump that no longer have a serviceable motor block. This series used a "hockey puck" looking device as a power source (transformer) that plugged into a silver/blue box that is the driver. These drivers have a 5-din connector that a controller can be plugged in to. This series is out of warranty but Roger from Tunze has THE BEST customer service in the industry and will upgrade you to the newer designs for a reduced cost if your pump dies and cannot be repaired.

The next series was the 6101, 6201, 6301 series. These no longer had the "hockey puck" or silver blue box. The pumps look identical to the previous series but they are powered by a laptop style power supply and they have a small plastic box (only about 1" square) that the power supply and control cable plugs into. I started with a 6101 and a 6201 that I bought used. Over time they both failed (years) and I was upgraded to the 6105 and 6205 FOR FREE! I have never seen any other company upgrade their pumps(which were purchased used) for brand new $300-500 pumps! I am not sure if these pumps are still under warranty so you might want to check, but if they are and fail, Roger will upgrade them because they use the same power supply as the newer series, only the pump design has changed.

The 6105, 6205, and 6305 is the newest series of pumps and have been completely redesigned in the way they look and operate. The magnet holders and pump design allow for much more flexibility in mounting and aiming pumps. Some have stated that these pumps are a little more noisy than the previous series but I have not experienced this. If you can swing the money, these are what you want to purchase. I run both tunzes and vortechs on my tank (tank is 12 feet long) as I feel different pumps are better suited for different situations. But you will NEVER find a company or representative that stands behind its products 100%. I was skeptical at first with the price, but after my first repair realized that I would be a tunze customer for life!

I need some serious education, in all the differences within Tunze pumps...
...or even more confusing, Tunze 6100.10. I Google all of these and come up with nothing...lol.

the tunze 6100.10 is best described in my own words as a 45 gallon cube tank whirlpool generator. yes it is controlable, on the lowest setting it spins the top water furiously, on the highest setting or ludacris speed mode, as I like to refer to it, makes the top water of my tank resemble a bathtub drain vortex.

I decided to sell mine.... I figured that having one circulation pump turning my 2' x2' x18" tank 20+ time every hour was a bit over kill.

These pumps also make excellent mixing bucket pumps. I stuck that bad boy in a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of water and salt mix. BLAM-O instant saltwater

Back