Effect of calcium dosage on sps growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tailek

Are there any difference between calcium produced from a yeast based calcium reactor and that produced from industrial co2? I also observed that under the same lighting setting the growth of sps appears better if i dose calcium chloride instead of using calcium reactor based on the yeast system.

Welcome to RF tailek! When it comes to anything to do with sps or anything similar, I'm as dumb as they come(LOL) Nevertheless, I just wanted to pop in and welcome you to he forum. Best of luck and glad you are here...

I assume your using a seperate co2/yeast chamber. Are you really getting the ph of the ca reactor low enough with just the yeast co2?

Don

My question is how the heck are you getting consistant enough co2 out of a yeast based c02 setup to actually run a calcium reactor?

Tom, you should be brewing your own beer, just pipe the air lock into your reactor. The faster you drink the more co2 you'll make.

Don

lol, that is on my list of other hobbies that I want to get into. Along with hotrod building, and flying.

Effect of caicium dosage on sps growth

For experiment purpose I have tried running a separate co2/yeast chamber supplying co2 to a diy cal reactor.The co2 generation lasted for about 2 weeks with 20 bubbles/min on day1 tapering to about 10 bubbles/min after 2 weeks based on certain sugar/yeast mixture.For the 2 weeks,I kept the effluent drip to about 1 drip/sec and ph varying from 6.5 to 6.8 Calcium in the main tank was measured average 380 -400ppm and Kh 8-12 dkh. No dosage of calcium chloride was added during the period.The test was carried out for about 3 months with 6 batches of yeast mixture but sps growth was not as good as before when only calcium and sodium bicarb were used as additives.

Back