Eheim-1260 dimensions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Haole

"Village Idiot"
Okay, here’s the story... Once I gather all the goodies together, I plan on making a sump/refugium for my 40gal reef. So far I have a 20gal tank that I’m going to use for this project. Since limited space is a big factor, I plan to get an AquaC EV-120 to replace my current, locally made, and modified umteen times, inferior skimmer. I’ve been following this "thread" on another site and there seems to be a standard consensus that these skimmers perform much better with a stronger pump than the manufacturer recommends. A few people in that thread have posted that they are thrilled with the performance of their skimmers with the use of Eheim brand pumps. They highly recommend using the 1260 model for the EV-120’s. I already have experience with Mag-Drive pumps, so when there’s talk of quieter, cooler running pumps, I’m all ears. I would like to put both the pump and skimmer in the same section/compartment, with the pump sitting underneath the skimmer. With the dimensions of the 20gal tank I’m thinking that there may be enough room to offset the pump underneath the skimmer just enough to where the hose going from the pump to the skimmer would run just along the edge of the skimmer and still have some clearance for water to freely enter the pump. I understand that I can run the skimmer outside of this, but I want to keep things contained in an area that is more leak proof / “idiot” proof. I just need some accurate dimensions to find out if this will work.
So in a nutshell...
Can anyone tell me the distance from how far the output connection opening is from the edge of where the intake/suction end is on a Eheim 1260 pump? Can these pumps be broken down any more to make them shorter? Like not using the intake cover.
I’ve already asked this question on that thread, but no one seems to be responding to it and it ends up getting buried within a matter of minutes any way’s.:rolleyes:

Skimmer_layout_bmp.jpg
Skimmer_pump_bmp.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Rob! I had the AquaC EV-120 and it worked wonderfully with the mag5! I've heard talk about using a bigger pump, but never tried it. I've never used a Eheim pump to say whether the pump can be broken down any, but here are a few specs on them until someone else chimes in:)

http://www.eheim.com/universal.htm

I have a 1262 and their the same size. But I'm not sure what dimensions your looking for? Here's some pics on how I have my 1262 connected. This is as far broke down you can get them.

I see you just updated the pos. Let me see if I can get those dimensions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link krish. :D
I was looking at that site yesterday but unfortunately they don’t list the dimension that I’m looking for. Although now I know were to go if I need replacement parts.:)

Yes! Yes! That’s it!
Thanks james!! :D
So do you think that would be less than 3 inches total if you went to the outer side of centerline on the output connection?

The thickness of the silver/gray piece is 1-3/8". So add up 1-1/4 and 1-3/8 and you have 2-5/8 +/- 1/4" of error. Since you want to go from the outer edge of the output subtract 3/8" from the total above.

so 2-5/8"-3/8"=2-1/4" if my math is correct. So yes it's under 3"... LOL :)

Thanks for the info james. You’ve helped me a lot! :)
Actually I wanted to know the dimension including the entire output connection. So if I instead, add another 3/8, that should be about 3 inches if my math is right also lol. There are a couple other dimensions that you might be able to help me with... Just like what your picture show’s, I plan to set the pump up the same way with the output at the top. If you could tell me, what’s the height of the pump with and without the little foot stand piece that goes on the bottom of the pump?

Also, since you’re actually running one of these Eheim’s. What’s your take on these pumps? Are they quiet? Does it seem to run cool? I realize you’re running the next size up than what I’m intending to get, but I’m just curious of your opinion.

Oh, and krish!
Hopefully you’ll see this... (Or any one else that owns one)
Do you happen to know or remember roughly the height of the skimmer box of your EV-120? Not the total height with the bubble tower, just the height of the box itself.

I can't remember the dimensions...I can find out for you though from the guy who got my skimmer from me if you need. Just let me know:)

Thanks for the info james. You’ve helped me a lot! :)
Actually I wanted to know the dimension including the entire output connection. So if I instead, add another 3/8, that should be about 3 inches if my math is right also lol. There are a couple other dimensions that you might be able to help me with... Just like what your picture show’s, I plan to set the pump up the same way with the output at the top. If you could tell me, what’s the height of the pump with and without the little foot stand piece that goes on the bottom of the pump?

Also, since you’re actually running one of these Eheim’s. What’s your take on these pumps? Are they quiet? Does it seem to run cool? I realize you’re running the next size up than what I’m intending to get, but I’m just curious of your opinion.

That sounds about right. Either way from the front of the output or the center you should still be under 3".

The pump is 4" square and add 3/8" for the height of the foot. So without the stand 4", with stand 4-3/8"

I like the pump it runs quit for me. I couldn't really say about the heat I run a chiller on my tank. I haven't noticed the chiller work any harder before or after the addition of this pump.

:)

Thanks again james for taking the time to help me out!
I had a hunch that the pump itself is 4 inches, although I didn’t have a clue as to how tall the foot attachment is, but it’s nice to know for sure. The reason why I’m asking for these dimensions also is because I’m trying to determine if I’m going to run into a problem with stacking them on top of one another and running into a conflict with the trim of the tank that I’m putting them in. It’s kinda hard guessing without the actual pieces sitting in front of you, so these numbers that you guy’s are providing me with are a real big help! :D

A couple more questions for you james and hopefully I won’t have to bug you anymore... :lol:
Are you using any kind of pad underneath the pump to lessen the chance for vibration noises? Or are you actually using the foot/base attachment and consider this to be an adequate way to prevent vibration noises?

No problem Rob.

I'm not using anything under mine. I'm using the base/foot but I think it would work the same without it. There is no isolation/anti-vibration pads on it (base). I don't even hear it with all the other pumps down there Skimmer, Chiller. you could put a mouse pad/Neoprene (SP) under it if you wanted, but I think you'd be fine with out it also.

Thanks for the offer Dan, but I think James pretty much covered all the dimensions I needed to know... But I certainly would like to hear your opinion on the quietness and heat emission characteristics of this pump.

Oh and krish....
I hope you haven’t gone through the trouble yet, but forget about the question I asked you earlier about the skimmer box dimension. I had a massive brain fart and completely forgot about the gate valve on the side of the skimmer box. :rolleyes: So the skimmer will probably sit higher out of the tank in order for the gate valve to clear the glass partitions I’m putting in to section out the tank anyways. Overall it looks like this could work. Now it’s just a matter of time and saving up in order to try this out.

Back