eheim eco filter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jojopotato25

i have one of those and im really happy with it. Ive been using the filter media that came with it, http://www.eheim.com/biological.htm, and i was wondering if you guys would recommend ditching it or keeping it. I was thinking about ditching it and adding chemi-pure to one compartment, sea gel to another filter compartment,and then live rock rubble to the last. How does that sound. If you had this filter what kind of media would you guys choose for a 10 gallon reef tank?

IMO it's all up to you and how it works for your current setup as all tanks are different, but for me personally, I wouldn't use any media in it nor live rock rubble etc besides probably carbon. The live rock you have in your tank should be sufficient to carry out all of your biological needs so no sense in adding in a few pieces of rubble into a canister filter that probably won't benefit you much biologically, but may work against you if it sheds and is allowed to sit which in turn can degrade water quality if not removed in ample time. Just my 2 cents worth :)

im not sure if my live rock is good enough. The rock was actually dry tufa rock i got at petco. After six months though it sure looks like live rock.

LOL! Alot of people start off with base rock and seed it and over time it will become live rock and function for you. The main thing is the type of rock you get. The more porous the better :)

Back