Electrical advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
how many plugs are too many for one outlet??? i am sure my setup is a fire hazard...i have a 2 powerstrips coming out of my outlets (one on each outlet)..how much is too much???

how many plugs are too many for one outlet??? i am sure my setup is a fire hazard...i have a 2 powerstrips coming out of my outlets (one on each outlet)..how much is too much???

:lol: I just got a fire inspection and the inspector said I was good as long as one strip wasnt plugged into the other. Which it was at the time of the inspection.:)
Add up your amperage if its not dedicated include everything else on the breaker.

Don

since the majoratory of the load accurs duering the start up fase.. as long as your not turning everything on and off at once. you should be ok...

the power stripe in to power stripe will cause a fire

i have the same set up like yours RON J i have a 2 powerstrips coming out of my outlets (one on each outlet)..how much is too much??? i havent had any problems yet crossing my fingers

Are your power strips surge protected or just power stripes?

Read the labels of your devices plugged in, either in wattage or amperage, & use that to figure your worst case power surge & stay 80% below the maximum of your breaker that supplies that outlet, also remember these are circuits so you may have appliances or other things plugged in on that circuit, you must consider that also.

it's in my dining room..i'm not sure what all is on that circuit..i'll have to check

Are your power strips surge protected or just power stripes?

Read the labels of your devices plugged in, either in wattage or amperage, & use that to figure your worst case power surge & stay 80% below the maximum of your breaker that supplies that outlet, also remember these are circuits so you may have appliances or other things plugged in on that circuit, you must consider that also.

Friendly edit: should read "stay below 80% of the maximum of your breaker".

i thought that sounded strange!!! i had to read it twice and still wondered about it

Do you have a GFI outlet(s) ? It would be a great idea to have one (or two or more) installed exclusively just for your SW tank. I'm planning on having them installed and wired straight to my circuit breaker box.

nope..i just have standard plugs...i can have electrical work done anytime though..

Back