Elegance is not happy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

I tried posting this in the General forum now I think this might have been the better place to post it.

We just added this piece a couple of weeks ago and all has been well. It's an Australian piece that we got from Sarang (Roscoe) that he got from CrashfireJoe a couple of years ago. Today it doesn't look to happy though. Being new to this hobby we just aren't sure if they can have a bad day and then everything goes back to normal or if there is something we should be concerned with. Water parameters are:

PH 8.3
Mg 1400
Ca 420
dKH 9.5
Temp 79.9
Sg 1.026

These have all been stable except the dKH. It was a little low at 7.5 last weekend. We did our normal bi-weekly 20% water using our normal IO salt bumping the Mg up to match our tank. I have been slowly raising the dKH over the last week until last nights test showed it up to 9.5. Like I said, all other parameters have been stable. Feedings and lighting have all been normal as well.

What is the opinion of this forum? Do we have anything to worry about or should we just use the patience this hobby has taught us and wait and see? Here are some pics.

Last week (seems healthy)

DSC_0079_9696.jpg

Today (not looking happy)

DSC_0165_9782.jpg

DSC_0166_9783.jpg

New full set of tests this morning, all Elos test kits.

PH 7.9 The last one (8.3) was taken at night after the lights went out. This one is in the morning.
Mg 1400
Ca 420
dKH 9.0
Temp 77.7
Sg 1.026
NH3 0.0
NO2 0.0
NO3 0.0
PO4 0.0

So all parameters seem to test correctly. Any input from anyone is appreciated. I realize it is also a holiday weekend and a lot of people are away so we are keeping our fingers crossed that it makes it and not changing anything at this point unless we hear something from someone to try.

Thank you again in advance.

How much flow is this coral getting? It does not like direct flow..have you tried to re-position to another place in the tank? I had the similiar experience with my aust. elegance..it came down to placement..moved it 1.5 ft to the right and all was happy..dont figure..

It had really low flow where we placed it. We don't have as many options on moving things like you do in your drop of ocean Kirk :). If we moved something 1.5 feet in any direct it would be sitting on our dining room floor :D. We have tried to re-direct the power heads to give it a little more flow but not blasting it and see what happens. It seems to be opening up a little more today so far. If this doesn't work we will try another place in the tank.

I know Kirk. Just ribbin ya a bit. We tried 2 or 3 different flows today. It seems a little happier than it was yesterday but not as happy as it's been. We will wait and see what tomorrow brings. I am also waiting to hear from Sarang about this corals tendencies in the past.

Eric,
Funny...it might take a day or two to acclimiate once moved..but like herefishyfishy said, once you find a place for it..don't touch it...

BTW Kirk... It is all opened back up, fat and happier that it has every been. Not sure what it was but it seems to be over for the time being. We did some minor flow adjustments but I think it is actually getting more flow than it was before. Don't know but it is all happy again. Thought I would report the good news for a change instead of the typical bad news that we always seem to hear.

nicely done...good for you..if this is the place for it, don't do a thing to it.. :)

Glad to hear it is doing better. Mine tend to like low flow the best. Like most corals when moved, relocated, change of lighting ect. they can take awhile to re-adjust.

Back